chapter twenty one ╳ stimulations*

(nsfw content warning, because i haven't written smut in over ten chapters. enjoy.)

  I want more than anything to not cry

  I want more than anything to not cry. At least not here, not now. The last thing I want is to cry inconsolably in front of my parents.

  But of course, that's what I do.

It felt like I was in elementary school again, waiting anxiously to see my parents reacting to what had been told to them at the Parent-Teacher conferences. All I could do was wait with nervous anticipation for whatever bad grade I'd gotten, to resurface.

  But, this time it's worse.

I didn't want to upset them. I've already lied enough to them. Kept secrets and covered things up. The inner obedient child in me wants to say, "Yes, Mom. Yes, Dad." go home and forget any of this happened.

  But, that isn't possible anymore.

But, what I can't do is leave your daughter. I love her too much to do that.

The words ring in my head and pound in my heart.

It almost makes me forget about my fathers less than enthusiastic rebuttal.

I sit in the room, my mom gently rubbing my shoulder and my dad pacing by the door, trying to avoid the pieces of glass on the floor.

Shakily I stand, breathing in deeply.

"I can't go back."

My dad looks over at me. I can't even place his expression, but I know it's a volatile mix of many feelings.

"What?" He responds quietly.

"I'm sorry, but I can't go back home. Not yet." I quicken my pace, trying to get everything I have to say out before I choke up again. "I know its dangerous, I know it's not smart. But, I know that Angelo is perfectly capable of protecting me. I made a promise to him. That I'd try at least. And you-" I gesture to both of my parents in turn. "Told me never to break my promises. This is me keeping that promise. I love you both so much, and I'll do everything I can to keep you both safe. And I know Angelo would too. And if that means being away from you for a while, that sacrifice might have to be made."

  I let in a sharp breath, holding it as I wait for their responses. But, I'm only met with silence.

  Finally a small chuckle reaches my ears.

I look over at my mom, who holds a weary smile on her face. "She gets this from you, Julian." She says to my father.

"Marianne?!" My father retorts in shock. "How can you be so calm about this? Our daughter is abandoning us for a man!"

"As if you haven't done very similar things." My mother replies. "I was the last person your parents wanted you to marry, but did you listen to them? No. And now we've been happily married for over twenty-five years. I argued with you for months about how bad of an investment the bar was, and you didn't listen. Now, you have a great business that you love."