Chapter 13

Hall A, Back at the Start of the Assignment 3rd Person POV

Seeing what Nakiri was making Yukihira decided to comment, "Hey, wow! Those are really pretty. I've never seen anything like those before. So those are eggs whatcha-macallit."

"Ugh such a distraction." Nakiri thought to herself.

"Um Yukihira..." Suddenly she reserved herself to a more shy tone of voice and Yukihira looked at her acknowledging that he heard her.

"Did you ever get a clue on what Ayanokoji is making?"

"Why do you sound so shy saying this?" He replied to her question with a question of his own.

"It's b-because of what you s-said earlier."

"Oh, that's my bad. Well, if I remember correctly I saw him only for a little before he disappeared again. He said he was making some sort of egg dish."

"That isn't helpful at all." Obviously he was going to make an egg dish if that was the challenge.

"Right now I remember, he said he was making an egg benedict."

"Huh?!" She did a little squeak after hearing the information Yukihira presented to her.

"What's wrong Nakiri?" As oblivious as he could be, there was no signs that he knew that she was also making the same dish as Ayanokoji.

"I-it's nothing, anyways it seems like your making some a soufflé of some kind."

"Yep, I'm going with a variation of an omelet. Instead of just scrambling the eggs, I'm whipping the egg whites into a meringue. Doing that gives the dish a light and fluffy soufflé texture that you don't normally get from an omelet. Funny looks aren't the only way to surprise, an unexpected texture is another way to give a dish a fresh twist! Since this is supposed to be for buffets, I'm making them smaller than regular size, so I guess that makes them a 'mini soufflé omelet'."

After Yukihira's explanation, Nakiri stared at him blankly with no sign of emotion in her face.

"What?" noticing this silence, Yukihira asked.

"Er, nothing."

"Texture, hm." A slight smile appeared across Nakiri's face.

Hall E

"There done! A petite loco moco bowl!" An excited voice came from Hall E presenting a dish that attracted many eyes. It was none other than Meat Me— Nikumi.

"Wow that looks super yummy." A small boy that won't appear in the story again said.

"Huh? Loco moco at a buffet? How interesting!" A judge saw a bit of the commotion and walked over to Nikumi's.

He tried a plate, "Oh. Hot." After a few munching sessions he finally reached his conclusion.

"The egg has been coddled to a perfect tenderness and it melds beautifully with the powerful taste of the hamburger made from ground rib roast! Add to that the mild, fluffy rice to tie it all together and it feels the mouth with deliciousness. It's a dish that brings out the strength in you with every bite." He thought savoring the food.

"Not only that, typical loco moco is covered with beef gravy but you've used a vinaigrette instead! The tangy lightness of the white-wine vinegar in the vinaigrette wonderfully accentuates the richness of the egg yolk and juiciness of the meat. This is one thoroughly complete dish." After a questionable, I mean thorough but still questionable analyzation of the dish, Nikumi got on her high horse.