6. Pirate Rescue

She could see nothing but shadows, and she could hear the water lapping against the edge of a ship. An unfamiliar, gruff voice spoke out.

"The Void's in view, captain."

This statement was followed by a strangely familiar voice, a velvety one that reminded her of Ronan's voice.

"Good. Ready the men."

BANG.

The ship jerked as the sound was followed by the noise of a cannonball ripping through wood, and men above deck began to shout.

"Cannonfire!" Marien leapt to her feet, her torn attire dripping from the water.

"I thought you said Charles Darlo was the most feared pirate on these seas!" Kaylee shouted over another blast.

"He is, but I never said pirates were smart!"

A hole was suddenly blown into the bottom of the ship, whizzing past the cell.

"Does this count as a distraction?" Marien asked.

"Indeed, it does." Kaylee stepped back to the wall, and bent her knees; "You may want to step back," she warned Marien.

Marien's eyes widened and she moved away from the bars, flattening herself next to the dirty window.

Kaylee ran foward, her movements blurred, and rammed herself into the iron bars; they emitted a loud snap as they broke away from the cell door, banging into a bunch of crates.

"Come on!" She started for the stairs, Marien following closely behind.

"Hey, how'd you get-"

The pirate's words were cut short by Kaylee's blade, falling into the water.
Idiots, they didn't even disarm me before throwing me in the brig," she thought as they continued up.

"Look out!" Marien shouted. They flattened out against the wall as someone fell through the doorway, yowling as he went.

The top deck was alive with fighting, pirates everywhere brandishing their swords or conking each other out with whatever they could find. Not only that, but another ship had appeared; more and more pirates swinging from ropes over to the Void.

"They're being invaded!" Kaylee noted as she and Marien watched from the staircase.

"So it would seem," Marien replied," What color are the other ship's sails?"

Kaylee glanced around the doorway and took a look at the other ship, her mind seemed to blank itself suddenly. Frowning, she replied, "They're black, but they're flying the colors of a pirate."

"Finally! Kaylee, they are here to rescue me!"

"Rescue you?" Kaylee blanched.

"Yes! Believe it or not, I'm a pirate!"

"You? But you're-"

Another cannonball hit the doorway, knocking her against the other wall.

"Well, well, look who escaped the brig!"

The same man who she'd thrown through the ship the day before stood in the doorway, looking down at them with a snarl upon his face.

Kaylee grabbed his wrist, twisting flipping him hard on his back; she and Marien stepped over him and ran out on deck.

"Marien, ever shot one of these?" Kaylee asked, kicking up a pistol next to a dead pirate and tossing it to her.

She aimed and pulled the trigger instantly, killing off a man on the mast.