15. Ship to Ship

The days passed and the Black Pearl drew closer to the shores of Isla de Morte, it's black sails raised high against the wind.

Talika was becoming clingy with Will, and it was driving Jackson out of his mind. He didn't know what it was: his nutty conscience, his weary mind, or just that feeling in his gut. But every time he saw Talika with Will, he wished it was Kaylee. He didn't know why, but perhaps it had something to do with the fact that Will could do better than the red-headed demon. Yeah, Kaylee was a princess of the highest esteem, but not all Nature Queens had married kings or princes. He wasn't one to believe in silly tales but legends had been told of one Nature Queen who'd married a guy from a poor family in some dimension about vampires and werewolves.

While he thought, Jackson sat on the edge of a crate, watching as Will stood at the wheel with one hand holding an old compass and the other guiding the helm of the ship.

He was clever, that Jack Sparrow. A compass that only pointed to what you wanted most? Where had he found that?!

They released Norrington from the brig, and limited his amount of rum; he milled about, and didn't talk much but at least he wasn't yelling at the top of his voice.

"This is too easy," Jackson said aloud to himself, unaware that someone was listening, "There should be a battle for that chest and we haven't seen a single ship."

"Perhaps you shouldn't try our luck." The talking rat appeared on the crate next to him, his red feather blowing in the breeze.

"I'm just saying it shouldn't be this easy," Jackson replied haughtily.

"Oh, be grateful, we could still have Hook after us," Marien reminded him.

"Will said Hook was after him because he can open the chest," Jackson said," When he and Kaylee escaped, he was already heading to Isla de Morte."

Gibbs and Marien exchanged glance.

"So, they could already be there," Gibbs said.

"The Jolly Rogger's not near as fast as the Pearl," Marien reminded them.

Jackson wasn't convinced, "They're still coming, they could be right behind-"

BANG!

As if on-cue, a cannonball suddenly hurled through the ship, crashing into the hull and blowing wood shards in every direction.

"WILL, THE JOLLY ROGGER IS ON OUR TAIL!" Kaylee yelled from the look-out.

Of course. "Load the cannons!" Jackson shouted.

"Marien, take the helm!" Will tossed her the compass and she kept them on track as the Jolly Rogger continue to fire.

"Load the cannons!" Gibbs shouted as the crew began to run to battle stations.

"You just had to curse our luck!" Marien hissed as Jackson from the helm.

"Hard to port!" Will shouted, hoisting himself up on the mast.

Marien spun the wheel and the Pearl lurched around. For a moment, there was silence and the tension grew between the two ships.

"Will," Jackson said nervously.

"Easy boys!" Will called after he'd jumped down from the mast, hanging under the hatch. The tension could be cut with a knife.

"WILL!" Marien yelled.

"Fire!"

"Fire!"

"Fire all!"

After three commands were called from three different people, the cannon-fire blasted their ears. Their enemy returned fire and men went everywhere; pistols fired, wood shattered, and water sprayed.