24. A One Way Ticket to Hell

They watched from the longboat as the ship was taken under the waves, the tentacles wrapped around the decks.

"Fair well," Killian muttered under his breath.

Kaylee glanced at him before turning to Tia Dalma,

"Where are you taking us?" she asked.

"To a place where even Charles Darlo would not dare trespass."

She led them to an island; it was dusky, covered in a strange mist. It was dark, the moon casting rippling reflections across the ink-black water. The boat floated in through a river, leading them through a jungle.

It was beautiful, the leaves hanging over the water while fireflies lit the pathway.

"What is this place?" Ragetti asked as they docked on a boardwalk beneath an odd-looking tree house.

"My home," Tia replied as she climbed out of the boat.

"I thought you were a sea goddess," Talika said as she eyed the house.

"I was a sea goddess!" Tia snarled, casting a dangerous glance at Killian.

She whipped around and started up the wooded latter, disappearing up into the tree.
The others stared after.

"Do we follow her?" Pintel asked.

"I vote no," Ragetti said instantly.

Will and Killian glanced at each other before climbing up after her.

"Mind the boat!" he called down.

"Mind the boat," Kaylee told Jackson as she climbed up.

The word was passed down, leaving Marty to watch the longboat.

The house was small and cluttered, with lit candles everywhere; casting light over the large table that took up most of the space.

"Interesting," Reep muttered.

"This is where you live?" Jackson said as he glanced around.

"Indeed," Tia replied," Now come."

She sat at the round table shoved in the small room, and the others joined her.

"Your task consists of reaching Urselon," she said, her dark eyes sweeping over them, "But you must first pass the one who guards the island."

"What exactly guards it?" Marien asked.

"A creature that I sent to guard it,"  Tia told her.

"Well, how do we get past it?" Killian demanded.

Tia narrowed her eyes,

"Hold out your hand," she growled.

He looked uncertain but did as she said; she grabbed his hand and yanked it across the table.

"What's she doin'?" Ragetti asked.

Tia waved her fingers over Killian's palm, and he suddenly yanked his hand back.

"What did you do?" Marien growled.

"I have you a one-way ticket into the caverns," Tia replied.

Killian watched his hand, and Kaylee could see a sort of black brand pressed in his palm.

"Now, I suggest you rest. The Pearl will be here by morn."

What kind of creature could guard Aztec Gold? A sea witch, perhaps? She'd seen a kraken and nearly gotten eaten in the process- so why not?