27. Hurt

Will had fallen overboard before, but not when the waves were practically moving stones. And not in the most dis-figured position.

Everything hurt. He must've landed on his right side, because he was throbbing harder on his right. His back, however had gotten the worst of it. He'd been knocked out as soon as he hit the water, but he remembered that it had hurt.

Kaylee was exquisitely gentle for someone who could bring a building down with one punch, she'd helped him back into the cabin, an arm still supporting him.

"Will?" she asked, "Do you want me to let go?"

He nodded stiffly, and she let go; his muscles suddenly jolted and he grabbed into the side of the table for support.

"Easy." She came and bent down next to him, her gentle touch soothing.

"How do you do this?" he asked through gritted teeth.

"I've experienced worse," she admitted.

He unclenched his hands from the side of the wood; she'd experienced worse, and here he was thinking this was the worst he'd ever felt in his life...and it probably was.

He blew out a breath and looked up at her, taking the hand she'd put on his shoulder.

"I'm Narnian, my pain tolerance is higher than yours. If it hurts me, it's going to really hurt you," she replied.

"So, if you have fallen in instead of me..."

He watched her expression as she grimaced, and chuckled.

"I'm pretty much a walking block of cement," she said," Don't try and punch me, you might brake your hand."

Will imagined Jackson getting fed up with her, throwing a punch and SNAP- broken wrist. The thought brought a ghost of a smile to his face.

Thunder rumbled and the ship began rocking, the storm was back.

"That didn't take long," Kaylee said, glancing around.

There was a loud bang followed by shouting, and a very loud 'ON YOUR FEET, MEN!' from Killian.

The ship gave a jerk, and Will slammed against the wall. He gritted his teeth in frustration, as the soreness was now worse than ever. He sat against the windowsill, his back protesting as he leaned against the wood.

"You alright?" she put a hand on her forearm, and it was like her touch wore away the hurt there.

He smiled slightly, either she healed or destroyed, certainly not both.

"What are you, a healer or a warrior?" he teased.

"Depends on who you are," she replied, shrugging. She gave him a wink, and the ship gave another lurch.

He fell into her this time, but she didn't seem to mind.

"You probably look very much like your father," she said as her blue eyes studied his face.

"How can you tell?" he asked, his eyes wondering to the golden medallion around her neck.

"Your features are so distinct," she replied simply as his hands lingered around the golden chain.

He shook his head, how did she just know these things? His drowsiness was beginning to overtake him, as was his soreness. He trailed his fingers up to her cheek, fighting the sudden urge to kiss her. Now wasn't the time.

Sighing, he kissed the corner of her mouth before leaning back against the wood, sleep overtaking him.