Chapter 5: The Pawn

A few weeks has passed since I began studying at Hexide.

I made a handful of friends throughout the time I've spent there.

And honestly I didn't expect to enjoy it this much, for the first time in my life I was content.

I was happy.

Avari thought as she started to get ready.

She brushed her hair and grabbed her cowl putting it on while glaring at the mirror.

Suddenly a notification popped up on her scroll.

————————————————————————

Amity
Hey, we're gonna meet up downtown before heading to school you wanna come?

Avari began typing a response.

Avari
Why whats up

Amity
We were hoping to grab some food before school so you know....we wont die.

Avari
And you can't just have breakfast at home because?

Amity
Because, Eda decided to get too drunk last night with Lilith and Luz doesn't know how to cook, so we all agreed to have breakfast at a cafe or something.

Avari
Fine by me

Amity
Great meet up at the Breath of a Griffin Cafe in 30 minutes don't be late

Avari
(^_−)−☆

————————————————————————

The young witch walked outside her bathroom grabbing her textbooks before she left for the door.

Walking down the stairs she passed her father's study.

She noticed there were talking inside and that the door was creaked just right for the conversation to be heard.

She knew she shouldn't meddle but the overwhelming feeling of curiosity got the best of her.

Once she peeked inside she saw her mother pacing around the room anxiously while Clifford was at his desk reading a document.

Amanda: "What is it that you aren't telling me Clifford?"

Clifford sighed as he stands up to grab a book from his shelf.

Clifford: "Avari..... was selected."

Amanda paused and looked at Clifford with fear in her eyes those words shook her to her core.

Amanda: "No." she shook her head "No absolutely not." She said as she turns her back from her husband

Clifford: "Do you think you're in any position to decline?"

Amanda: "I am not willingly giving our daughter to that man, you saw how he treated Hunter one small mistake and Avari gets killed."

Clifford: "What's done it done Amanda, I had to do what any reasonable person would do."

Amanda: "By using your own daughter? For your own profit? For your own status? Clifford I may be strict but I am still her mother."