Chapter 40

October 18, 2013

Eisa remained connected to them from afar.

She'd moved back to Germany after Dahlia was killed. Taking back the same apartment she'd been in, before arriving in New Orleans two years ago, she'd gotten back to her modeling, designing, and especially, her partying.

Whenever she wasn't calling Isela to help her try to undo the Crescent Curse, she was out keeping herself busy. Whether she found herself working with top designers, or clubbing and finding her next hook up, she was actively distracting herself from every last memory of Hayley.

Sometimes, Freya wrote to her, magically sending her letters to explain what was happening back home. She gave advice where she could, but it was minimal. A crueler part of her thought, if Freya wanted to be the big sister now, she could figure things out on her own. Eisa didn't want to deal with whatever quarrel Elijah and Klaus were having. She kept in touch with Elijah enough to know that he was doing better, after all these months.

It seemed Marcel had started up a fight gym in St. Anne's Church. Elijah got his anger out properly, and he'd also train some of Marcel's vampires, helping him fight.

Rebekah was traveling on her own, occasionally coming to visit Eisa. The two of them were researching ways to bring their brothers back to life. So far, they were turning up empty-handed.

At least, Eisa knew things were more or less alright. Elijah and Freya took turns taking Hope to Hayley, on the full moons when she got a chance to be human. Eisa often sent them clothes and supplies, though her siblings were under strict instruction to say that the gifts were from them, and not Eisa.

Isela had returned to the Compound, after helping Zeus with his recovery. He was alright, but his magic would never be the same. She was good with Hope, and she'd kept Cami company. Apparently, the blonde was coming around more often, now that she and Klaus were unofficially 'dating' instead of just sleeping with each other. Eisa simply hoped that Cami would be a good influence.

"Brother," she said in surprise when Klaus called her that morning. "To what do I owe the pleasure?"

"Perhaps I'm merely calling to make sure you aren't still unstable."

"Very funny. I'm doing quite good, actually." She glanced at two naked women beside her, who were still fast asleep under the blankets. "Much more stable than before. Being away from New Orleans has done wonders for my health. I came out in Vogue last month."

"Eight months ago, you had a broken heart, and your only thought was getting away. Should I assume you're nearly ready to return? Or shall I expect to spend another of Hope's birthdays being the one opening all those gifts you sent?"

Eisa shrugged, getting up and going to fetch herself a drink. "Nothing wrong with it, Nik, she's a baby, she can't open presents herself. What kind of aunt would I be if I didn't spoil her rotten?"

"I'm not sure why she needed that many pairs of shoes—"

"A person can never have too many pairs of shoes. Besides, I got her the good ones. For once, I didn't go by brand. They were manufactured to help babies walk, and they have a very good arch in place to help her be a good runner. Goodness knows she'll need it. I hope she liked all the clothes I sent."

"She refuses to take off that velvet sweater."

"Oh, wonderful choice, I had Alexander McQueen himself design it for me before I died. Not in miniature, of course, I had to have one of my contacts adjust it to be fit for a little girl."

"Eisa, the question persists— should I assume you're nearly ready to return?"

She wiggled her eyebrows, drawing a sip of her drink. "Didn't peg as such a desperate ninny, Nik. It almost sounds as though you want me back. Which begs the question what you really require from me. Either you want me back to get Elijah off your arse, or you want me back because you've grown annoyed of Freya and Isela, or you need me to kill someone for you."