ii.

chapter two.

yara azaran
perspective

"ONLY FIVE HEADS ARE STANDING." Ciro murmurs under his breath, brushing his fingers against his jaw.

He leans back on his chair, watching me twirl the pen in between my fingers. I cross my legs on the table, leaning back on the chair.

"I think one will go vanish soon," I look into his eyes, "Betting it's going to be one of the lower houses."

"I don't believe no one's gonna try attack you," Ciro chuckles, "You're a ticking bomb."

I smile, "Let's not say anything too quick. Anything can happen."

I move my gaze towards the window on my side and my eyes land on a figure walking towards the Crystal Wing. A perk of being in the North Wing meant that we had the perfect view of the Crystal Wing.

Denver Ivy — the head of Emerald — had entered the Crystal Wing. Alone. It wasn't suspicious for a head of a house to enter that building alone.

But Denver Ivy was the worst head out there. He was always surrounded by people, throwing parties here and there, drowning himself in alcohol. He was the reason Emerald was a mess.

He disappears out of my sight once the door closes and I glance at Ciro, watching him read the thick novel in his hands.

"Where's Asahi?" I sigh, "Can he ever stick to his role?"

"He just left a few minutes ago. Probably went to his usual spot to smoke," he shrugs, his eyes still fixated on his novel.

"He's addicted," I shake my head in disappointment.

He glances at me and our eyes meet, "He sure is."

I narrow my eyes at him before letting out a sigh, taking my gun out of my holster.

Ciro narrows his eyes at me, pointing at my gun with his finger, "You aren't planning on killing me with that, right?"

I roll my eyes at him, "No, stupid. I'm just checking it. I like checking up on my weapons."

"You love those more than us humans. You're a maniac," he mutters, staring at me in disappointment.

"Humans don't protect me but my guns do." I smile, grazing my fingers over the revolver.

"Yara, when did you last play the piano?" Ciro moves his hand closer to mine, grazing his fingers over mine.

"A year ago," I murmur, "Do you miss me playing the piano with you?" I chuckle, throwing him a small smile.

"Yes, I do," he sighs, "Your hands were meant to play instruments, not weapons. You can do both, you know? But don't forget that you're the best pianist here."

I shake my head with a small smile, "It wasn't my choice to play all these instruments. It was a gift I was meant to use as the daughter of a grand-duke to satisfy all the nobles."

"But weapons? I can do whatever I want with them. I have my freedom," I chuckle.

"Well, you are an ace at using them," he chuckles and I smile at his words.

"Do you still play the piano every evening?" I tap my fingers against the wooden desk, pretending as if my fingers were dancing on the keyboard.

"Yes, I do," he nods, "It's a daily thing now."

I smile, "Good. I'll join you. I want to play something before I lose my touch of playing the piano."

I watch the look on his face brighten as he smiles at me, "You're the best. I know you show others that you're heartless but you're the kindest person I know."

"Stop sweet talking to me. I don't like it," I scrunch my face at him, narrowing my eyes at him.

He smiles, raising his hands in defence, "Alright, I won't. But which piano do you want to play? The one in the hall?"

I shake my head at him, "The piano which belongs to Ruby. The one locked in our room in the Crystal Wing."

"Ah, that one," he nods, "If you're done, we can walk there now."

I glance at the paperwork on my desk and narrow my eyes at them before sighing, "Eh, it's fine. I'll do this shit later," I mutter as I get up from my seat.

I grab my winter coat and pull it over my uniform since it was freezing cold outside. It wasn't meant to be this cold. The weather was weird today.

Ciro opens the door and holds it open for me as I walk past it. The students from my house bow their heads as I walk past them, Ciro walking on my right.

We walk out of the North Wing and I stand outside the huge doors of the Crystal Wing. I insert the key into the keyhole, turning it, and the door clicks open.

I push it open and enter the building while he follows me. We climb the stairs and walk towards the highest floor where there was a room that belonged to Ruby.

It was like a storeroom where we kept all the antique stuff which we don't use. And the grand piano was also there.

I stand in front of the door and dig my hand into my pocket, searching for the keys.

But before I could remove the keys out of my pocket, the door creaks open and I blink in surprise, knowing this didn't mean anything good.

"Shit, this door was supposed to be locked," I hiss as we walk into the room and I glance around the room, searching for any damages.

"Who has the keys to this room?" Ciro mumbles, looking around, glancing at me from the corner of his eyes.

"No one but me," I mutter, "This means war, Ciro. No one is allowed to enter this room besides the council members of Ruby."

I glance at the piano, noticing that the white cloth covering was on the floor. I take a sharp breath in, walking towards it.

Ciro stands next to me and I stare at the piano, noticing the mess.

There was fresh blood on the keys, dripping down to the floor.

I take a step forward, looking at the words written in blood on the page sitting on top of the piano.

"Here's a gift for Ruby. Blood. Red like the crystal on your ruler's chest," Ciro reads out, glancing at me as I clench my hand over the crystal dangling on my chest pocket.

I hear a scream and the door bangs open, revealing Ember Xanthe and from the look on her face, something terrible had happened.

"The head of Emerald—Denver Ivy— has disappeared!" She shouts and I clench my eyes shut, letting out a hiss.

It doesn't take me long to figure out that this fresh blood dripping on the piano could be Denver Ivy's blood.

—☽—