xii.

chapter twelve.

ares blackburn
perspective

"You cannot step in, Miss Azaran. Only Jun Hai is permitted in here," Aquilo, the vice-head of Sapphire, stands in front of Yara.

"And where is he?" Yara scoffs, "He is missing. As the Head of Ruby, I have control over all the other houses. You know that right?"

Aquilo stays silent for a few seconds before nodding, "Apologies," he murmurs, "That was a rule Jun made us follow, that only he could enter his office."

I arch an eyebrow, "What? Then where would you be seated? You are meant to be in the same office as him."

"Right here," he points to the door opposite Jun's office, "He would come and drop paperwork for me."

"The office is locked by his fingerprint though, like every other office," he murmurs and I nod.

"I know," Yara nods, "Now, go. It's better if you're not here."

He nods at her and quickly walks away from this hallway. Once he disappears from our sight, we stare at the metal door in front of us.

"You're suspecting Jun?" I arch an eyebrow at Yara, watching her turn around to look at me.

"I don't know," she shrugs at me, "It is just a gut feeling."

"Mhm, right," I glance at her, "How will you open the door? It can only be opened with Jun's fingerprint."

She lets out a laugh, "Like this," she takes out her gun from her pocket and shoots a bullet at the fingerprint door lock. She smiles as she watches it shatter into pieces and fall onto the ground. An alarm rings before the door clicks open.

I part my lips slightly, "I did not know that could work."

"Well, now you know," she chuckles, "You learn a bit every day with me. Might as well call me Professor Azaran."

I roll my eyes at her, "Shut up, Azaran. The only title you will earn in the future is Duchess Yara Azaran."

She smiles, a small genuine smile, "I love the way that sounds. I'll be a perfect duchess, don't you think?"

"Only if you stop killing people in your way," I murmur and she lets out a laugh.

"Never, Blackburn," she glances at her gun as she looks at the door, "Shall we see what's waiting inside for us?"

"Of course," I gesture for her to step inside. She pushes the door open and it bangs open. Yara has her gun pointed at the front, ready to shoot anything in her way.

We both step inside and look around. I turn around and my jaw almost drops at the sight.

"My guesses are always right, aren't they?" Yara chuckles as her eyes finally land on what I was gawking at.

The door to the underground pathway was here, wide open, welcoming the guests from Imperial. There were knives and guns on the floor, ready to be picked up by whoever walked through the door.

This was their entrance. This was how Hell was brought onto Crystal Lake Academy.

—☽—