xiii

chapter thirteen.

yara azaran
perspective

"It's locked now," Ares looks back at me once he has locked the door, "No one should be able to come through now."

"Mhm, good," I nod slowly before turning around and staring at Jun's desk.

Jun Hai was intelligent. His every move was well calculated and I know that he would have known about this as well.

"What are you looking for?" Ares stares at me as I open Jun's drawers and look through his paperwork.

"Anything that could help," I murmur, narrowing my eyes as I flip through the pile of papers.

I feel a weird sensation in my chest as I stare at the papers in front of my eyes.

"Aren't those our background checks?" Ares widens his eyes before taking the papers in his hands, "Wait. This is everything about our health too."

I take the diary from the desk into my hands. I carefully open it and flip through the pages, reading every word on the page with surprise.

Ares lowers his head and stares at the notes on the pages as I flip through, "Fuck. That is a record of everything about our crystals," he murmurs, "And everything we did every day."

I let out a low laugh, "He kept an eye on us. Every single second."

"Wait. His file should be here too," I murmur, bending down on one knee as I open the bottom drawers and pull out some files.

I pick up a file and flip through the pages. Something drops on the ground and I slowly bend down to pick the bits up.

My eyes widen as I glance at the pictures of Jun and the people next to him, "He went to fucking Imperial," I mutter, "He came from our nemesis school."

"What?" Ares furrows his eyebrows before taking the pictures out of my hands and gawks at them, "Hell, the students that attacked us are not just strangers but his friends," he mutters, "It doesn't make sense. Why did he do this? What the fuck did he want to go this far?"

I look into his eyes, "The crystal. He wanted the crystal. Obviously," I let out a humourless laugh, "He was always so interested in it."

"Why?" He murmurs as I glance around the office. I bite my lip as my eyes land on something I should've known earlier.

"He has diabetes. Type one, Blackburn," I look at him, "It is life-threatening to him. I can imagine how tired he must be of those insulin shots," I point at the stock of insulin shots in the half-empty box.

"Jun Hai is alive. He took stock of these," I graze my hand over the box, "He knew he can't live without them."

He scoffs, "Then he could have just asked!"

"These crystals aren't something you can just give to others," I chuckle, "I bet he didn't know which one had healing powers."

"Healing powers?" He arches an eyebrow at me, "What the hell?"

"How do you think I survived death?" I let out a laugh, "It's all because of this," I touch my crystal.

"He wanted to make himself immortal?" He murmurs and I nod at his words.

"I still don't understand why he created such a mess and took all the heads down," he hisses, glaring around the room.

I smile, "Let me tell you a secret, Ares. The crystal will reject the person who wears it if it's not its master."

"What exactly does that mean?" He frowns, "And how do you know all this shit?"

I shrug, "The book. I read it all."

He nods slowly, "Explain the rejection bit."

"The crystal will kill anyone but its owner when they wear it," I whisper.

"And is there a way it won't kill them?" He stares at me in horror.

"Only if the crystal's master is dead."

—☽—