D1- Part Five🖤

Doug and I made our way to the tourney field. We sat on the bleachers, all the better to hear their conversation. Who, you ask? Evie's and Chad's. We watched them through the gap in the bleachers.

'Is everybody at home as pretty as you?' asked Chad.

'I like to think I'm the fairest of them all.' Evie said. 'How many rooms in your castle?'

'Oh, too many to count.' said Chad dismissively. I tensed suddenly as Evie moved forward as if to kiss him. Thankfully, Chad looked away, and said, 'You really nailed that chemistry problem today. You're gonna have all the nerds in love with you.'

'I'm not that smart.'

'Yeah, right.'

'No, really, I'm not.' said Evie. 'But I'm really good at sewing and cooking and cleaning. You know, like your mother, Cinderella, without the ratty dress. See this?' she took out a small mirror from her bag. 'If I ask it where something is, it tells me.'

'Are you kidding me?' Chad asked, looking surprised.

'No.'

Chad grabbed the mirror from her and put it to his ear. I rolled my eyes. What a dunce.

'Where's my cellphone?' Chad asked the mirror.

'It won't work for you, silly.' said Evie, giggling.

Chad shrugged and handed back the mirror. 'No biggie. My dad will just get me a new one.'

'Prince Charming?'

Chad nodded as if mesmerized. 'Yeah.'

'And Cinderella?'

He nodded again. 'Yeah.'

'Fairy Godmother?' The boy nodded again. 'Hey, I heard her wand is in some boring museum.' I tensed up again. THEY WERE HOLDING HANDS!! 'Do they always leave it there?'

Chad moved in as if to kiss her. I felt tenser than ever. No no no no no...

Chad moved away again and I felt my muscles relax.

'You were worried, weren't you?' asked Doug, smirking.

'Shut up, doggie.'

'Stop calling me that-'

'Shh... they're talking.'

'...really like to talk, but I'm just swamped.'

'Oh.' said Evie, looking disappointed.

'Unless...'

'Unless?'

'If you could knock all my homework out along with yours, then maybe we could get together sometime.' said Chad, handing his bag to Evie. 'You know, hang out.'

'Okay.' said Evie.

'Thanks, babe.'

I winced at the nickname.

'Yeah, bye.' said Evie as Chad left.

'We couldn't help but overhear.' said Doug, revealing himself to Evie.

'Yeah, couldn't help it.' I said, revealing myself as well. 'At all.'

'Are you stalking me?' asked Evie.

'Well, yeah.' I said. 'If you want to call it that.' I jumped down.

Doug wriggled through the gap of the bleachers.

'You see,' he said. 'I too have a fascination with the fairy godmother's wand. Which is another reason I look forward to the coronation. Perhaps we could sit next to each other and discuss its attributes?'