Magic Mayhem

Stacey walked downstairs wearing a loose, bright blue T-shirt and gray shorts which was the most comfortable clothing she could find. She walked into the kitchen and spotted Jacob there, drinking a glass of orange juice and reading the newspaper, acting as if they weren’t going anywhere.

“Um… aren’t we leaving?” she asked, just as Sarah came downstairs and stood next to her, sporting an oversized purple shirt and denim shorts. 

“I would wait if I were you,” he said, not taking his eyes off the newspaper.

“Why - where’s Misty?” she asked, taking a seat opposite him.  

“You’ll see.”

Five minutes passed; then fifteen. Sarah and Stacey were now watching television while Jacob was making a list of things that they might need.

Half-an-hour had passed and the time now read 12:45. Stacey, as well as Sarah, was starting to get impatient.

“Where is Misty?” Stacey yelled, getting up.

   As if to answer her question, a door shut upstairs and, finally, Misty walked down the stairs. 

They gaped at her as Jacob looked around for the car keys. Misty was wearing a short, denim jacket over a cute cherry-pink top with short denim pleated skirt and velvety brown boots to match. She was also sporting a flashy belt and her fawn hair was in a French braid.

“What took you so long?” asked Stacey, angrily.

“Sorry, I had a fashion crisis,” she explained, looking at their simple clothing and sneakers. “And I think you two could use a bit of my help too.”

“That’s enough,” said Jacob entering the den. “C’mon, are we leaving or not?”   

The four left the house and got in Heather’s silver 1991 model BMW.

“Jacob, can I ask you something?” asked Stacey from behind him.

“Sure, go ahead,” he said, starting the engine.

“I know it’s kind of rude, but I’m curious to know, how old are you exactly?”

“It’s not rude at all. Anyway, I’m twenty-one, going on twenty two.”

“And if you need to know mine, I’m going to be thirteen,” said Misty.

“Cool. So where are we headed to anyway?” asked Sarah.

“Can we go to Universal Shopping Center? It's new and I want to check it out” asked Stacey.

“Actually, that was the same thing I was thinking,” he replied smiling, looking at the three of them through the rearview mirror.

At the mall:

They decided to split up since they had a lot to purchase. Sarah and Jacob headed to the furniture store while Stacey and Misty decided to get the groceries. 

“So, what’s first on our list?” asked Misty.

“I dunno, just take something,” snapped Stacey impatiently, tossing the list at her.

Misty looked at her and said, “Look, if you really need to go so bad, then you could just say so.”

“Really? Thanks,” she said and dashed off.

 After a while in the washroom, Stacey was thinking of apologizing to Misty for snapping at her.

She straightened her blue shirt and tried to unlock the cubicle door.