Let The Games Begin

“Our real mother-” Sarah whispered.
“Heather,” Stacey completed.
Matt stiffened for a moment. Then he slowly stammered, “You… You know?”
“Yes, we know,” said Stacey softly, looking down.       “Why did you do it? Didn’t you love her?”
“How long have you known that?” Matt asked the girls.

“You didn’t give us an answer, dad,” said Stacey, looking at him sadly.
“Stacey, of course I loved your mother and I always will.” He sighed.
“Then why?” cried Sarah, tears spilling down her cheek. Stacey rolled her eyes but still went to comfort her.

    Matt abruptly got up and strode to the door. He opened it and peeked outside to check whether Ann was nearby or not. He slowly withdrew, locked the door and faced the girls. The expression on his face was something the girls had never seen him wear before; a mixture of rage, sadness, confusion and passion.

“I loved your mother,” he slowly started, walking towards them. “I loved her more than anything else in the world. I would never even think of hurting her.”
“Then who did it?” asked Stacey, wiping away a tear as Sarah sobbed next to her.

“It… It was… Ann. She was the one who did. She was the one who murdered her,” he yelled and he kicked the chair with rage.
Stacey gasped as Sarah shook with fright.

    He turned his back to them, running his fingers through his ruffled dark brown hair. “It was too late when I realized that they were going to kill her in order to get the Book. I tried contacting her several times, I tried my best to warn her, but she wasn’t home and her mobile was switched off. Before I could find her, Ann did and…” He let out a tiny sob.

“Dad, I…” started Stacey but didn’t know what to say beyond the large lump in her throat. Sarah was now bawling miserably into the pup’s fur.

Matt cleared his throat and continued his back still to them. “I didn’t know what to do. Sure I lost Heather forever, but I couldn’t lose you both too. Ann found out about my love for you girls and made me an offer. She told me that you two are the keys to finding the Book, so she was willing to adopt you two  with me otherwise she would kill you both."

Matt took a deep breath,"I didn’t want that to happen and I had no way out of this. So I agreed. But in order to adopt you I had to change my last name. That’s why I told you to get the letter so you would try and find out about this, as you just did."

“After the people at the adoption home found out that I was your father and of course I had proof, they immediately turned you over to us and we had a claim over the whole house. Ann was pretty pleased with the arrangement as she can now search the entire house without any interruptions.”

    He paused for a while and sighed.
“I never wanted to find the stupid Book; I wasn’t even interested in it in the first place, after what it did to Heather…”

“Then why… why did you agree?” asked Sarah in-between sobs.

This time Matt turned around and the expression on his face now was even more frightening than before. His face was crimson and wet with tears; his eyes were wide with fury. The vein above his temple was throbbing like crazy. 

“Didn’t you hear me?” he asked through clenched teeth, “I had no way out. If I didn’t agree, guess where you would be right now.”

“I’m really sorry, I didn’t mean to…”  

“No, it’s okay,” he said softly. The vein had stopped throbbing and all the color was drained from his face. He suddenly looked exhausted. He picked up the fallen chair, sat down and buried his face in his hands.

“I shouldn’t have associated with those demons in the first place, and then all this wouldn’t have happened.”

He laughed, " I am a demon, what am I saying haha" he shook his head in disbelief.