First Case Horror

Fourth week of October:

It was a pleasant morning and Jacob was standing outside his home; taking in the sweet, crisp autumn air and looking at his front lawn, which was covered in orange and brown leaves, before he got into his car to head to work.

At home, the sisters and Misty were doing their studies. It's been one heck of a time for them; the events of the months were still fresh in their minds. Like it was just yesterday they had discovered the truth of what they are, the death of their father, finding out about their cousins and their first battle in the underworld. Having Jacob and Misty in their lives was a blessing; in fact, having each other for support is what made them what they are now- stronger, alert and braver, and felt the love they had for each other as a family. They had their disagreements, but isn't that what families do?

For a month or so, they had time for themselves and did normal things, even though they knew it wouldn't last forever. But for now, life couldn't have been sweeter.

They knew that evil would emerge again; all they had to do was believe in each other and oneself. They grew powerful each day, making their magical bond more powerful and lowering the chance for Xeradius to even touch the Book or them. A few days back Jacob did say that he thought he was being followed, and maybe Xeradius was still after them. 

***

It was close to lunch time, meaning Jacob will be home soon so the girls started to prepare before his arrival. Just when they were folding the napkins on the table, they heard the front door being opened.

"Jacob!" cried Misty, happily and ran to greet him.

Jacob entered a few seconds later with Misty still clinging on to him in a bear hug, and looked at the table that was lavishly set.

"Wow! I can't believe you girls did this!" he said appreciatively, looking at them.

They smiled at each other.

After lunch, they relished a plate of custard pie,

"So, big brother," started Misty, setting down her fork and smiling up at him. "What are you planning to do on your big day?"

Everyone stopped to stare at her.

Jacob shrugged and Stacey asked, "What big day?"

"For his birthday of course, it's next month," she replied. "November the 22nd. Anyway, I was thinking that we can have a tour of L.A, you know, since we didn't discover anything much except for the nearest shopping malls, theaters, your workspace and our own backyard. Maybe Stacey and Sarah could be our tour guides..."

Stacey wasn't listening to what Misty was saying as she looked down at her plate, ashamed and angry at herself for not remembering his birthday. Come to think of it, she realized that she didn't know their birthdays in the first place. With all this going on around them, she had completely forgotten to ask them. Stacey wasn't the only one who was feeling that way. Sarah was looking at Misty and Jacob guiltily, trying to hang on to every word she was saying.

"... We could make this work, that is, if we have nothing planned on that special day," she finished, picking up the last bits of pie and stuffing it in her mouth. Then she looked back at him and sighed. "I can't believe you're gonna be twenty-two!"

Jacob just looked back at her and smiled affectionately. He didn't know what to say. Deep down, he realized that he hadn't done anything like this for his little sister. Being engrossed in the fight against good and evil, he had completely forgotten to get something for her on her birthday, and yet she had a smile on her face while she was babbling  about her plan to make his special day extra special.