Chapter 5: Borrowed Time.

"Has the mudblood been completely and utterly unbearable yet?"

Fergus Nott drummed his fingers on the edge of the chessboard, his tone bored as he huffed and moved his knight. He was aware he was losing to Tom, but this was old news. No one could beat him, either way.

"Incredibly so." Tom drawled, as he moved a single pawn. Seemingly worthless pieces on a chessboard were the ones that made him win. He was tactical, methodical, calculating. He knew his opponent's weaknesses. In and out of chess.

"Hm. Do tell."

Nott liked the high he got from feeling like winning. He moved bigger, more important pieces. They provided a larger movement range. While he was incredibly smart and fully aware that he was losing, he liked how it felt to move his knights and bishops to kill some of Tom's pawns.

The necessary sacrifices.

An exhale. "What is to tell? I am partnered with a mudblood girl that is obsessed with tea leaves and their hidden meanings."

An understanding nod. "Mhm."

Chess was like life, though. If two teams were on a war, soldiers are the sacrifical lambs. The literal pawns of the stronger ones. If their lives were lost, then it was time to play with the bigger, stronger players. All to protect the King. The leader. Bishops, knights and rooks all in sacrifice. The Queen, last sacrificial lamb before him.

All necessary.

He never needed a queen. He had Nagini. And his other Horcruxes. His last line of defence.

One little mistake and Fergus had moved the wrong pawn. The flash in his eyes immediately afterwards signaled he understood his mistake, yet it was late. It was a rule, no backtracking. His Queen was dead, and the King could not have been more vulnerable.

"Roi Mat." Or commonly known, checkmate.

"I know, you prat. I know. I lost, what's new?" He huffed angrily.

Tom cooly adjusted his legs over a velvet leg rest stool as he shrugged.
"You do not play chess."

The response was immediate. And angry.
"I've played chess since I was 10! Of course -"

"You are smart, yet your strategy is basic. Not intruiging enough for an opponent of my caliber. If you knew how to play chess, you'd know how important it is to use your pawns properly. And use the others as a last resort. While all sacrifices are necessary, the least must be made. That's how you win."

He took a long breath as he started reorganising the board. "She is a pawn."

Nott's bushy brows furrowed. "Warren?"

"Yes. She is not as empty brained as I thought, she might know a lot about Dark Magic. She -"

"Wait. Warren knows Dark Spells?"

An eyeroll. How fucking annoying and rude it is to interrupt someone?

A lot.

He clenched his teeth. "I am not fully aware of her abilities or knowledge yet. I know nothing about her except of the fact that she is a curious mudblood who is sneaking off to read books about Dark Magic. Do you remember my plan?"