Chapter 31: Caught Up

Her eyes were playing games on her.
Yes, that was the only possible explanation. Because there was no other reason her black walnut wand was emitting a fiery red glow, giving it the color of blood.

An ugly stench of Magic filled the air when the wand clattered, yet as everyone shielded themselves, nothing happened. She tried to ignore the way Tom's grip found her elbow as he pushed her behind him, wand in hand.

The eyes of the Aurors were on her, and she was becoming painfully aware by the millisecond.

"I don't -" she suddently lost the control of her voice, sudden panic. "What - what is t-that?!" She felt her self whisper, the terror in her voice easily detectable.

Was that Dark Magic? Did her wand fail her in front of Aurors!?

She glanced at Tom's stony features and wide eyes that were glued on her in carefully concealed concern.

He looked like he understood what was going on, and she hated it. She hated not knowing things.

Pretending to be simply embracing her to calm her down and taking advantage of the few feet distance between them and the Aurors, he bent down to her ear.
"Did you conceal yourself?" He murmured so quietly she almost didn't hear him. "In the library? Till the entrance full of portraits?"

She admitted, she was susceptible to being dumb at times, but not that dumb. Of course she did. She wouldn't just march into the Restricted Section. She nodded her head, the movement barely visible, yet he felt it.

Good girl, he thought. "Follow my lead" he barely whispered.

"Miss Warren, I must request you come with us." An Auror stepped up, yet Tom, unphased shook his head as if he hadn't heard him. He stepped back slightly so that he could see her face.

And then she knew. No matter how believeable whatever he was going to say was, the way his eyes shone at her told her everything.

He had a plan. And she better follow through.

"I'm so sorry." He suddently said those words that were so out of character, she felt her own eyelids widen. He said it just loud enough for the Aurors to hear. His eyes glued on her, he grasped both her hands. "I never meant to do that with your wand. I - I never thought they'd look -" he gritted, and she almost believed whatever story he was telling -

He kissed her.

In front of everyone. The Aurors, Avery, and a slowly approaching Dumbledore.

The kiss was quick. Too quick, domestic almost, if it wasn't frantic. It lasted half a second, yet it was full of passion. Quick, yet it sent the message; like a kiss during an ambush.

"I - I know. It's okay." What the fuck was she even saying? What was ok?

She was almost embarrassed to play on his game, not knowing what the fuck he was apologising about. Not knowing how to feel he just kissed her in front of these people.

Yet, at the worst possible moment, a flashback forced its way to her mind.

"Dumbledore is not dumb, hiding the articles in the Restricted Section. He might have placed a trap for you." He'd warned her when she told him about the article.

He was right. Fuck, he was. It was either Dumbledore's trap, or Avery's.

But he shook his head, ignoring the slowly approaching armed Aurors. "Don't worry, darling." He whispered just loud enough, and her heart skipped a beat. Was it weird that she hated how easy romanticism came to him when he plotted scenarios? When he acted out his plans? "I'll tell them. I swear. I'll explain to them everything."