Chapter 25: Mind Games

"Is your throat alright?" Were the first words murmured in her ear as she stretched her sleepy bones.

"... What?" she croaked, and hence realising that her throat was, indeed, not alright. How could it be, with the attack of Greyback still fresh? And -

Oh.

His smug smile reminded her the rest. How she'd taken him in her mouth last night. How she'd pleasured him, right before he pleasured her.

Hitting him with a pillow, she tried to hide her embarassed smile at his smirk.

"You were the one confident you could take it." She could hear his smirk as he got up to get dressed. "And you did." He added, effortlessly turning the pillow that she'd launched towards him into dust. He wasn't even looking.

He slowly turned, a dark eyebrow arched, questioning her.

That was hot, she thought, as soon as his eyes bore into hers.

"Obviously", he drawled with a grin as he slammed the door behind her, leaving her alone in his room, red faced.

__________

Being in the library used to be her favourite hobby. Researching was in her blood - quite Ravenclaw of her. Yet, today was off. She stilled as she looked around the Restricted Section, a weird feeling overtaking her. Nightmares of what could happen, her anxiety over Greyback's murder and how Dumbledore felt she was guilty unsettled her.

She knew he wanted to speak with her, yet she could not stomach the idea. That piercing way his eyes looked at hers, blue eyes forcing their way to her thoughts, was incredibly similar to Tom's. And she knew; they were both Legilimens.

It made incredible sense.

She had studied the rules of magic - ancient practices like Legilimency and Occlumency were difficult to learn - but once they were, they were a powerful asset. However, no one - not even Merlin himself - could master both. It was a disruption of balance to do so. Someone with the ability to read minds and keep their own impenetrable would have the power to do anything - and Nature's laws forbade that.

If she wanted to have a possibility of the upper hand against Dumbledore, Legilimency would not help her. He was already a mastermind and excelled in it, had practiced it - non verbally -without problem for centuries. Getting into his mind would be impossible.

Protecting her own mind was the goal.

She glamoured herself and grabbed the Occlumency book from the shelf as she sat in a corner of the Library.

She could do it.

___________

She knew the basics already - avoiding eye contact with Legilimens wizards you don't trust was the most simple yet effective way to avoid someone reading your thoughts. But even for a split second, a skilled Legilimens can grasp those thoughts and ideas from someone's mind.

She chose Occlumency for that reason - Dumbledore would know.

If she refused to have eye contact with him, he'd know. She wanted him off his back. Maybe ...

Maybe she could even sabotage him.

She stared at the crammed books in front of her as she repeated the book's advice in her head.

'For an ancient magical art such as Occlumency, it is crucial for beginners to follow the following technique; The body should be relaxed. The goal is for the mind to appear empty. The wizard can think of a safe environment, a safe space for that individual. Focusing on a mundane activity they enjoy.