Chapter 28: Mouse Trap

Things were okay.

Myrtle's "chit-chat" sessions - as Mary liked to call it - with Dumbledore had admittedly helped her out; like a true, muggle therapist, he was digging in her interests, meddling through random knowledge and discussing information with her. He'd support her in Transfiguration studies, helping her out with her performance and organising her timetable, while always being ever so bubbly and interested of her personal life.

Some things were also not okay.

She noticed that he really, really perked up on Hagrid's name. That was a weird fact.

She had to make conscious effort to avoid thinking about certain topics; certain raven curls and mossy green eyes, their fights, their plans, their moments. Or how the owner of those said raven curls had informed her that in that past life, Hagrid had been Dumbledore's plaything. Which made the previous fact even more concerning.

She really had to try not to think any of it; to instead think of random plots and storylines, to think of her muggle books, of her drawers. And always, without fail, when she occluded during her talks with Dumbledore, she'd feel a wave of pride, calmness and serenity coming from that particular mossy green eyed wizard. She felt his pride in her protecting her truth and mind; and while she found this feeling bubbling within their bond endearing, she also was kept on her toes.

Dumbledore was playing too nice - maybe because not once had he mentioned Tom. And while she was dying to do so and watch his reactions like a hawk, she never did.

Myrtle Warren was a Ravenclaw. And like a true Ravenclaw, mind goes first. Ravenclaws, like any sentient human, have their limits to which they can act impulsively. The difference between Ravenclaw and Gryffindor - and perhaps the common ground between Ravenclaw and Slytherin - was that Ravenclaw chooses its battles. As a Ravenclaw, she despised impulsivity, and while she was dying to know if he was going to act naive, cunning or try to emotionally sway her at the sound of Tom's name, she knew that would be a losing battle.

Dumbledore always was smart. Too smart, one would say, which was partially the reason he had his position and his connections. Hence, it was a mere fact that Myrtle would not win a comfrontation using Tom as bait.

Dumbledore should be the one to mention him first. She was merely trying to navigate the topics.

'How Slytherin of you', a certain wizard would murmur beside her.

If only he was there. If only he felt the same.

She could not let Dumbledore see that she wants to bait him - asking about Tom first was desparate. It showed Dumbledore her true intentions.

She saw her Professor as something incredibly close embodiment of his house, Gryffindor, but not quite. A lion was too boastful - too brash. A king. A conqueror.

He was a conqueror too, he didn't lack any Gryffindor trait - he was braver than anyone she knew, and could charm a crowd of thousands. He had helped defeat Grinderwald like a true Gryffindor - but smarter. Sneakier; he was one to hunt his prey discreetly, not out in the open. And he fucking hated snakes. Like a tiger, he hunt his prey effortlessly, with an incredibly high success rate. Tough, solitary and adaptable as he was, he trusted no one; yet once he spoke, someone would think he is the epitome of an extroverted people pleaser.