Chapter 16: Eerie Faces

Dumbledore had been tossing and turning in his sleep.

Shadows and morphless  dark mists moved around him. His azure eyes squinted, trying to adjust to the darkness and make sense of the shapes that clouded his vision.

A figure.

He couldn't tell if it was male or female, old or yound. It was vague and - almost - shapeless, but he knew. He'd seen prophetic dreams before. Beneath it, sitting on the dark imaginary floor of his dream, a book with chains around it.

"Hello?" he dared.

He knew that if this dream was a message of any sort, the Moire of Dreams would trust him with it if he acted naturally. He waited for anything to happen.

It could have been seconds, minutes, even hours; time was quite unorthodox in dreams, flowing on its own accord, leaving the mortal minds lost and confused. He finally heard whispers.

Dare he say, it was eerie.

"I'm the truth of your existence,

I'm the chaos in the wind.

I turn anywhere you want me,

Yet I take you where I'm in.

You could hide from the obscure,

From the terrors, from the sin,

I could stop your breath this instant,

You could never hide from me."

This was a riddle. He repeated phrase after phrase in his mind. It was a good thing he had an astounding memory. 

Was the answer fate? It seemed like it. Maybe it wasn't. Maybe there was wordplay, maybe there are double meanings.

Oh, how he loved riddles.

It was weird for him not to know what was going on. He'd get to the bottom of this, soon.

He was glad he hadn't gotten a Dreamless Sleep potion.

________________

"Lemon drop?"

She looked at the source of the voice. "Excuse me?"

Dumbledore smiled at her. "Would you like a lemon drop, miss Warren?"

"Ah, no thank you." The man was friendly as always, yet she was unnerved. Why would she be needed in his office if something wasn't wrong?

"You're not in trouble, my dear." He stated, as if he could read her thoughts.

She exhaled almost immediately in relief. Her grades were high and her attendance outstanding, she didn't want any influence of any Slytherin idiot to screw her chances. Yet, she was confused. "Alright ...?" It was almost a question. A plea for him to explain.

"Its ... a delicate subject that I'm meddling with, miss Warren. You should understand that I'm both hesitant and persistent for this topic." He sighed.

Okay, this was officially weird.

"I know it definately isn't my place, but I can't help but keep an eye out for my students. I am in no way, shape or form dictating your personal life. I don't want it to seem like I'm doing that, but then again, if I didn't have suspicions, I would have never brought this up to you." He stated as he sipped his tea.