4. His wife

Anna's POV

"What happened?" Daniel asked, as soon as he stops the car in front of the mansion.

"Nothing." Giving him a tight smile, I kissed the cheeks of the old man who has been treating me like his daughter for the past 16 years.

Our first meeting wasn't pleasant. I was the scared girl in the wedding dress who was staring at the door of the mansion for the return of her husband. He arrived at night but it wasn't pleasing.

Currently, The people in my life are different from the past. Everyone in the mansion including Norma and Daniel assumed low about me but soon, they warm up with me. Actually, the opposite. I feel, They pity on me now. Their eyes mock me whenever I see them with their family.

"I don't like her... Your psychiatrist." Daniel confessed. He never does this. He is just like my father, bad at expressing. But today is different. He knows that I know the truth now.

"I know the reason now." My voice wobbled. The role of naive is too hard to play. Why can't I be strong and beautiful like Dr Anastasia Harrington? She is the woman of every man's dream.

"I think, you should rest... Jamie is with us, tonight." Forcing a smile, "We will handle the brave boy." he assured me.

*****

Stabbing the spaghetti with a fork, I stare at the door. I know James Carter will never walk into this building, but I have been praying for his return for 2 years. In fact, 16 years. But he refuses to breathe the air which has my presence.

I called him.

He rejected my calls.

I texted him.

He never replied.

I left tons of messages for him to his secretaries.

But no progress.

Now, I know his previous number is changed. I don't have his private number.

Our marriage of 16 years... And we are still strangers to each other.

Later, I wiped my face and cried in the shower... I couldn't help but cry. I hate Amy for leaving us. For abandoning us. She never came back. She lied. That message was empty. She abandoned me... ruined my life.

The way Mrs Carter taunted me about the deal, was the starting of my devastation.  It still haunts me.

"You never mentioned your other daughter." Mrs Carter looked cheered seeing me. "Offer still stands.......,

Mother was trying to hide her joy. There is a chance. They are ready to negotiate, She assumed ."But we have nothing to........."

"Your other daughter can fulfil the condition." Mrs Carter rolled her eyes.

Mother was red with..... anger. "She's 17......."

"Is she fertile?"  Mrs Carter stared at me.

"She's a kid......"

"Is she Virgin?" This time Mrs Carter mocked Mother.

"We are a religious family." My mother raised her voice. "She will not be the part of this absurd agreement."

"But you were ready to negotiate your elder daughter in this agreement."

"I agreed to an honourable wedding. My daughters deserve to be respected."

This marriage is not ideal. This is a shame. My married is not something, I dreamt of. I never imagined my wedding. I was a bookworm. I liked reading... No, I loved reading. My favourite subject was botany. And I also loved painting. But after marriage, I was imprisoned in the estate for years.