14. Amaranthus

Anna's POV

"Is that you, Anna?" I was asked, but my voice box didn't function. It was like yesterday, when it happened, when everything changed.

As I reached my house, I see him pacing back and forth in the little garden of my house, filled with the flower of Amaranthus which symbolises Hopelessness..... Like my life.

"Where were you?" He hugged me.

"There is no one was at your home. And I lost the track of time while walking back to home."

"Why were you walking back home?" He looked for any injury. "We were planning to surprise you. Five O'Clock. Remember? But you didn't show up."

"I just wanted to kill the time, so I walked to your home, but then something happened, and I changed my mind..."

"Everyone can come here if you want....."

"I am tired." I hugged him. "Good night."

"Is this goodbye?"

"I will contact you when I can. Trust me, I am good."

"You are best friend till my last breath. Contact me anytime."

Another question came to hit me with my reality, "Did you miss me?" He asked, and I could hear the joy in his voice.

Then I realized.....

Jacobson.

Jacobson.

Trina Jacobson.

My drowned memory started to swim back to the surface by this name. Why I didn't think before. I thought there are a lot of Jacobson in the world, but the reality is that the world is small. It's a circle. And here, I walked to Trina Jacobson, who is none other than the wife of George Jacobson. My best friend.

"Where were you all these years?" George almost run towards me but stopped when he sees my reaction.

I actually flinched away.

This was the time I recollect the incidents that have happened all these years... How I was raped almost every night by a drunk, grieving man. How stupidly I would cook breakfast for my rapist, the next morning. I was trying to give my daughter a normal family breakfast time.

"Where were you?" He repeated the question with calmness... As if he knows.

"You know her?" Norma jumped in between. I guess she understood I am panicking. And I need her help.

"I stalked James Carter to see you, and you are here. Did you divorce him?" George walked towards me with slow steps, testing the water.

"Do you feel uncomfortable?" Norma asked me again, this time with anger.

"You are making her uncomfortable." Trina joined the conversation and surprisingly, she supported me.

"She is my Anna." George let out the frustrated words.

Trina's eyes danced with revelation from George to me. She was shocked.

"But she doesn't wear the signature big glasses you mentioned." Trina finally recovered.

"They are out of fashion." George gave full attention to his wife.

Ahhh....

The shriek took our attention. It was Jamie who shrieked. He looked at Ryan, who was looking at us with confusion. My boy called Ryan and finally, they both run to hug each other with their baby talk.