11. Celandine

Dedicated to RenukaKisanKusalkar

Anna's POV

"What are you doing?" Norma's voice echoed when she asked me the question.

I was confused about her presence here. Dusting the sole flower of celandine, which symbolizes joys to come, from her scarf, She walked into the kitchen. She was supposed to be at Carter's mansion for her work as house manager, not here.

"Before you ask, let me tell you, I quit. Daniel is still working head of transport in charge of the family, but I guess, it was any time for retirement." Norma was fast. Answering my unspoken question, she faked a smile and reached to Jamie who was busy flying the helicopter.

Jamie squealed with excitement. For this little boy, Norma is his Noma. He loves her. She is his favourite. He doesn't know about his grandmothers from both sides, for him, it's always Noma.

"My boy is going to be a heartbreaker." Norma cooed him.

"Noma..... Chacoket cookie." He screamed with enthusiasm of the next level.

"No... No... Little one, tooth monster will take those beautiful teeth away." Norma tickled him, causing him to squeal again.

"Chacoket." This time the demand was supported with puppy eyes.

"He is clever," I commented on their interaction.

"No doubt." Agreeing Norma gave him the smallest piece of chocolate cookies available in the jar. But the young boy knew the trick. He jumped to get another one from her hand and when got the one, he run around the kitchen with his little feet... Finally, hiding under the table.

"We have to brush his teeth, right now." Norma sighed.

Her concern reminds me of what happened two days back. How my husband violated me again. How my efforts were shattered again.

Theo's family was so welcoming that it resurfaced my sunken memory... A memory which I almost forget. I forget my previous life. That once I had a normal family, where the husband and the wife loved each other and their children were loved by both of them. But I never got that life.

My husband is abusive whenever I try to talk to him, I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't know my name. My children never saw their father. He even refused to attain when Cherish was baptized... And he is not aware of the existence of his son. He never let me talk, neither listen to anyone when it comes to me.

I see Norma racing around the kitchen to get the coffee. Her actions indicate the upcoming conversation. In these years, we have been close... Like a team of mother-daughter.

"Now tell me," Norma demanded as soon as she sat in front of me.

"Planning to graduate." I pointed at the laptop that I brought while returning from Theo's house 2 nights ago. I am still new to these technologies, but I think I will be fine. It's been 16 years, after all.

"Good to hear that... Even though, she smiled, she didn't look convinced. "What happened at the office?" She finally asked. "You didn't talk that night. You held Jamie and slept."

"You know, Jamie is scared of the dark." I wasn't planning to tell her how I was humiliated again, by the man who was supposed to be my husband... My significant other.

"Even you are scared of the dark." She mumbled looking down at her coffee mug. I am sure she was remembering my first night at the mansion, when I hoped for a conversation with a man who was husband but was grieving for the loss of his first wife and son.

"What are you doing here?" His voice had no emotion.

"I... I wanted to talk....talk about our ma.....marriage." I stammered. "I think..."

"Ahh... Marriage. Yes, I remember you are my wife." He took off his wristwatch and then tie. "So wife, come here."

I obeyed and helped him take off his blazer.

"Bring me a drink." He ordered.

"I don't know how to make a drink," I replied timidly.

He let out a humourless laugh and went out of the room. He came with a glass and a bottle of some unknown liquor.

"Drink this." He commanded.

"I don't drink. I am under......"

He didn't let me complete my statement and forcefully grabbed my jaw, to shove the bottle of alcohol into my mouth.

I was almost choking and tried to push him, but he was determined, and I had to finish the bottle.

It tasted sour, bitter. Whatever yuck.

"Be a good wife." He caressed my shoulder. "Take off your dress." He barked at me. "Our matrimonial bed is waiting for us."

"I..... I don't think it's a good idea." I tried to push him. "You are too drunk. James, you should sleep."

He slapped me. Not once but 5 times. I tasted a copper in my mouth. He just hit me multiple times, and I am bleeding.

I cried out and decided that I need to go to Norma. She would help me.

He grabbed my wrist when I tried to run towards the door and dragged me to his bed. He took out his shirt.

"He's drunk. He doesn't know what he is doing." I closed my eyes and chanted.

I heard his zip being open and then being pulled at the edge of the bed. He almost tore my wedding dress and took out my breast and sucked it roughly.

"It's not good enough." His disgusting voice mouth bite my breast.

"We can......talk. James." I called him.

"Don't." Slap. "Call." Slap. "Me." slap "James." Punch. "Don't ever call me anything. Don't try to talk to unless you are dying."

He tore my underwear and entered into me forcefully. I screamed and begged him to stop, but he thrust into me. I cried, begged but nothing worked. He grunted and finally released his seeds inside by womb.

But this didn't satisfy him. He again thrust into me and this time, I felt I would die. I lay there, waited for him to finish.

"I want a son. My son. Malcolm." He said before his third round.

I cried and assured myself that night that the next morning, he would apologize to me.

He took me multiple times and every time he chanted, Willa or Malcolm or either he called me slut, whore.

I knew he was grieving, and I told myself that I am his wife, I need to support him. To bring him back to the way he was. But he was never the same.

Wiping my tears, "You need closure." Norma said. "I think you should meet your family..... Especially your sister

Stay tuned.
Don't forget to vote, comment and share.
©Copyrights reserved