12: Vernon - Stargazing

“Is this where you wanted to come?” Vernon asked, staring at the empty fields of seemingly endless green grass through the car window.

Night was approaching and you two arrived at this strange yet peaceful location right after sunset. On the way here, you insisted on driving, allowing Vernon to watch the passing sunset.

“What's with that tone? Do you not like it? Is it too basic for a last day of summer hangout?” You asked jokingly, getting out of the car.

Vernon quickly followed out while shaking his head. “No, I like that it's basic. The breeze is nice up here too.”

You looked over at Vernon with a smile, putting the car keys in your pocket. You knew that Vernon was quite simple, he preferred comfort over fancy and quiet over loud, so for the last day of August, you decided to take him to this place. It was a plains area with semi-tall grass and you were able to get a beautiful view of the mountains from here.

“This place is usually packed during the summer,” You said, walking to stand next to Vernon who was busy having his jaw dropped from the stunning scenery. “That's why I wanted to take you here at the end of summer so that it wouldn't be so crowded.”

“It sure is beautiful here,” Vernon said, turning to you with a thankful smile and his arms wide open. “Thank you so much for taking me here. You surely know me best, Y/N.”

You smiled shyly. Whenever your boyfriend said things like that, your heart would go crazy, jumping from joy. You didn't hesitate to walk into his arms and press the side of your face against his chest, your arms wrapping around his waist as his large hands patted your back.

“It's not just the valley that I want you to see. Wait until night falls, that's when the beauty of this place truly comes to life.”

“Oh really?” He replied, his nose sniffing the beautiful fragrance of your hair.

In his head, he was thinking that maybe this large field of grass had fireflies. However, he wanted it to be like a surprise, so he decided not to think about it anymore and instead, laid down against the grass with you. You took out your phone and began playing some music; a mix of sentimental and nostalgic songs you picked, along with some of Vernon's favorites.

“You really know how to set the mood,” Vernon said, chuckling at how perfectly the song fit the atmosphere.  “But are we just going to lay here though?”

“My main purpose for taking you here was to talk with you. You know, like how we always talk before bed, or when we're watching a movie but get distracted by our conversations that begin in the middle.”

Vernon smiled. His arm was under your neck and you had your arms wrapped around his waist as you two cuddled in the grass field.

“I always appreciated that you listened to me. Even if I don't say anything, you always know how I feel,” Vernon giggled softly for a reason that you didn't know. “Is this what you call soulmates?”

You smiled. “I guess so. I have to thank you too, Vernon, for always being by my side. You proved to me that there is hope for me even in the darkness where I can't see anything. There were so many times where it seems like I fell in a pit and couldn't climb back out, yet, each time, it's like your hand reaches for me and pulls me up.”

Vernon nodded with an embarrassed smile. He caressed your hair and wanted to just close his eyes.

You both didn't know how much time went by. Whenever you two talked like this, you guys would always lose track of time. Your eyes were closed, your arms were holding each other, and your bodies were pressed comfortably together, against the grass that swayed in the passing wind.

The conversation went on for who knows how long, you and Vernon were just thanking each other for the dumbest things, tossing back and forth the words “no, I am more thankful for you”. Finally, you both decided to end that little battle with giggles.

“I love you,” You said softly, holding him a little tighter. “I love you so much, Vernon.”

“Me too.”

You laughed a little. “Can't you say ‘I love you, Y/N’ instead of saying ‘me too’?”

Vernon giggled and said, “Okay, I love you, Y/N.”

Satisfied, you gently opened your eyes.

The surprise was ready. You didn't expect Vernon to have his eyes closed like this, but in the end, it worked out well in your favor regarding the surprise. You had only closed your eyes in the first place because you saw Vernon doing it.

You sat up from the floor and patted his knee. “Look...”

Vernon opened his eyes and the first thing he saw was a  long strand of grass stuck to your hair, so the first thing he did was pluck that piece of grass out.

You turned to him and did the same, ruffling his hair, allowing the particles of green to dust off. You smiled, cupping his face. “Now, look up.”

“Up?”

Vernon, with your hands still on his face, lifted his head to face the sky, being met with a starry night. Stars were glistening, twinkling, beautiful and white, spread out amongst the black sky, almost like a painting. The moon was round and beautiful as well. It looked like he was viewing the galaxy through pictures on Google, but instead, the galaxy was shining right down on him. Mixed with black, blue, and purple, the sky was art on its own.

Vernon's jaw dropped as your hands slipped away from his face. “Wow.”

You brought your knees to your chest and placed your palms together, in a praying motion. “Quick, make a wish!”

Vernon turned to you and smiled, copying your pose. Silence passed through as you both made a quiet wish, with only the crickets chirping.

“What did you wish for?” You asked, turning to Vernon who already had his eyes open, breaking the silence between you two.

“Simple things, just to be with you forever, have you stay healthy and happy... you know, just that kind of stuff,” Vernon said, scratching the back of his neck shyly. “What about you?”

You buried your face in your knees shyly. You two were definitely soulmates.

Vernon whined, scooting a bit closer to you. “Come on, tell me.”

“The same thing you wished for,” You replied, your voice muffled. “Instead, I wished to stay with YOU forever, and have YOU be healthy and happy.”

Vernon laughed. “Oh, seriously??”

You both laughed as you lifted your head. Vernon wrapped his arm around your shoulders, pulling you closer to him again.

You both stared up at the sky with smiles.

“The moon is beautiful, isn't it?” You said softly, staring at the moon. It was so round and bright, with the stars surrounding it, making it shine even more.

“Wonwoo told me that that phrase indirectly means ‘I love you’.”

“Well, I do love you,” You replied, pecking him on the cheek. Your hands were wrapped around your knees.

Vernon smiled. “I love you too.”

Vernon planted a kiss on your forehead and then turned to the sky again, gazing at the beautiful night sky. His hand rubbed your shoulder softly as your head laid gently on his shoulder.

There was a comfortable silence.

Under the galaxy-like sky, holding each other, you and Vernon beautifully ended this last summer night.