18 || past lives and past lovers

You don't really gotta tell me he's goneCause I've been waiting here for so longNow tell me baby, where you're going-Walk Away, The Jackie Boyz

Cause I've been waiting here for so long
Now tell me baby, where you're going
-Walk Away, The Jackie Boyz

You don't really gotta tell me he's goneCause I've been waiting here for so longNow tell me baby, where you're going-Walk Away, The Jackie Boyz

January 30th, 2013
Smithsonian Museum, Washington D.C

"A symbol to the nation. A hero to the world. The story of Captain America is one of honour, bravery, and sacrifice." I walk up behind Steve, as he solemnly watches the video at his exhibit.

"Fury send you here to sway me?" he asks, without even turning to look back at me.

"Yes." I admit, "So, I told him to shove it where the sun don't shine, 'cause I don't agree with what he's doing either."

He glances back at me and smirks, "Why are you here then?"

"Just love the exhibit." I shrug, standing by his side.

He slips his arm around my waist and puts his cap on my head, pulling up his hood to cover his face. We wander around the exhibit, inconspicuously, reading all the displays and listening to the narration. After a while, we come to a stop in front of a display, where children compare their heights to pre and post-serum Steve. A little boy in a Captain America t-shirt notices him and stares at him in awe; Steve just holds a finger up to his lips and the boy slowly nods.

In another room, all of the uniforms of Captain America and the Howling Commandos are on mannequins. We turn around and see a display, which I know is hurting Steve to just think about.

"Best friends since childhood, Bucky Barnes and Steven Rogers were inseparable on both schoolyard and battlefield. Barnes is the only Howling Commando to give his life in service of his country." the narrator says, as videos of the two of them smiling and laughing together play; I rub his shoulder and smile sympathetically at him.

The next room shows a video of Peggy, looking younger than she does now, "That was a difficult winter. A blizzard had trapped half our battalion behind the German line. Steve...", she hesitates for a moment before correcting herself, "Captain Rogers, he fought his way through a HYDRA blockade that had pinned our allies down for months. He saved over a thousand men, including the man who would... who would become my husband as it turned out. Even after he died, Steve was still changing my life."