29 || hydra and helicarriers

Love lifts us up where we belongWhere the eagles cryOn a mountain high-Where We Belong, Joe Cocker

Where the eagles cry
On a mountain high
-Where We Belong, Joe Cocker

Love lifts us up where we belongWhere the eagles cryOn a mountain high-Where We Belong, Joe Cocker

February 4th, 2013
S.H.I.E.L.D HQ, Washington DC

"Attention, all S.H.I.E.L.D agents. This is Steve Rogers." Steve's voice can be heard echoing all around the building, even from the comms room we stand in, "You've heard a lot about me over the last few days, some of you were even ordered to hunt me down. But I think it's time you know the truth. S.H.I.E.L.D is not what we thought it was, it's been taken over by HYDRA. Alexander Pierce is their leader. The Strike and Insight crew are HYDRA as well. I don't know how many more, but I know they're in the building. They could be standing right next to you. They almost have what they want: absolute control. They shot Nick Fury and it won't end there. If you launch those Helicarriers today, HYDRA will be able to kill anyone that stands in their way, unless we stop them. I know I'm asking a lot, but the price of freedom is high, it always has been,", he glances back at me, "and it's a price I'm willing to pay. And if I'm the only one, then so be it. But I'm willing to bet I'm not."

"Did you write that down first, or was it off the top of your head?" Sam asks with a smirk.

"Oh, he's great, isn't he?" I agree as Sam, Julia, Steve, and I take off running.

"Yeah, you have damn good taste. I might have to steal your man, watch your back." he chuckles.

Making our way through the building is odd; sprinting down corridors I used to clip through each morning in my heels, coffee in hand. The stares of fear and confusion as our ex-colleagues see us make a lump form in my throat.

This is our one shot. If we don't finish this, here and now, we have nothing.

A while later, we run out onto the roof of the building as the first helicarrier rises up and up into the air. "They're initiating launch," Hill tells us.

"I guessed as much." I nod, staring up at the monstrosity in the sky.

Its huge dark shadow looms above us, casting us and maybe the whole world into darkness.