26 || trying and talking

I've never been a naturalAll I do is try, try, tryI'm still on that trapezeI'm still trying everythingTo keep you looking at me-Mirrorball, Taylor Swift

All I do is try, try, try
I'm still on that trapeze
I'm still trying everything
To keep you looking at me
-Mirrorball, Taylor Swift

I've never been a naturalAll I do is try, try, tryI'm still on that trapezeI'm still trying everythingTo keep you looking at me-Mirrorball, Taylor Swift

February 3rd, 2013
Undisclosed Location

"Hey."

I blink my eyes and see Steve sitting on the end of the twin bed I'm lying in. That ever-soft, ever-green grin sits on his face, though his eyes are faintly bloodshot. Clearly, he's been crying and all I want to do is toss myself at him, though my limbs scream each time I so much as twitch. "Hi." I say, my voice croaking, grating like a hundred rusted cogs grinding, "So, uh, either we escaped or I've died and gone to heaven." I glance around the windowless, concrete room, "Or hell..."

He chuckles lightly, though I can tell it's not a real smile, "No, we're fine. For now at least." I shove myself up and groan slightly, causing him to ask, "You okay?"

"Yeah, yeah. I'm fine." I assure him, smiling tenderly, "Just a bit achy."

He stands up and walks around to my side, "Shove over." he says, squishing onto the bed next to me and wrapping his arm around me. He kicks his legs up so we're lying next to each other and I lean my head against his shoulder. "So, you know Bucky's... girl?"

"Bucky's girl?" I question, before just answering, "Yeah." I rub my eyes before glancing over at him, "Did I ever tell you about Julia?"

"Not that I remember."

"Eesh. Buckle up." I sigh, "Well, when I was seven, this new girl joined my class, Julia. We became best friends. I mean, we did everything together. We went to dance class together, we ate lunch together, we spent every night at each other's houses. Our dads were best friends too, our families used to go on holiday together, they'd come to his parties- we were family. Then in two-thousand and one, she turned up at my house at three am, crying and screaming. Dad let her sleepover and the next morning he called her dad. When she found out her dad was coming, she tried to run off but he came and picked her up. She was yelling at him and crying again, and then he took her to the car and they drove off. We never saw any of them again. I kind of forgot about them, well just didn't think about them. But that... That girl that was with Bucky... That's her."