5 » plan a

「 "We need to talk." 」

    "We need to?" You couldn't ignore the hint of mockery in his voice. You already could guess that this isn't going to be easy to do and you were ready to argue with him but—

    The boy seemed to bit his tongue and force a smile before speaking.

    "Can we introduce ourselves before, at least?" His voice lacked the mockery from before, it sounded... even genuine, but somehow you couldn't believe it wasn't fake, "It would be nice, don't you agree?"

    But he had a point. Oh no, he actually had a point. You walked here ready to talk and totally forgot about manners and—

    "My name is Scaramouche and you are, I assume, (y/n), right?"

    His name was so long, wow. 

    "Yes, I'm (y/n)..." The sudden interruption and complaint about your lack of manners left you, in a way, speechless. And you didn't had the confidence to continue what you wanted to say. 

    Embarrassing. 

    "So... now that we have the introductions behind us—" it wasn't like you had a choice either way "—what you wanted to talk about?"

    You looked at him, searching for... anything? Anything that could make you a bit less stressed? Like, any interest in what you want to say or anything but− no, not a single hint of any positive feelings in his smile. 

    "...are you going to talk—"

    "We have to talk our parents out of this arrangement." You went straight to the point, not wanting to waste more time. And not wanting to annoy him more because, well, you probably managed to already. Somehow. 

    This isn't going to end well and your worries got only got confirmend, when in answer you got... laugh. 

    He started laughing. You were ready to get up this instant from the chair and it's a miracle you didn't.

    "Your sense of humour is great, (y/n)."

    "What?" you gasped. What"I am in no way joking right now."

    "Guess it's natural talent then?"  He smiled, "You say funny things without trying. Would you be so nice to teach me?"

    "What the fuck." you murmured, completely confused what the hell is happening now, "What are you, five?"

    "It must be funny to be so naive, huh? " He leaned closer to you, a smile still on his face, "You are asking for impossible."

    No.

    You didn't came here just to hear no in answer. You wanted to hear him agree with you and help. There's no other answer—

    "I think it is possible. They can't possibly force us into this if we both say no—"

    "Didn't your parents already did that?" He raised his eyebrows, "You didn't seemed very happy at the dinner, having your brother calm you down..."

    "First of all, anyone would be stressed in this situation!" Seriously, the nerve he has! "Second, this is different than being forced to marry someone and besides, how do you know Ajax is my brother?"

    And, third of all, it's not his business how you feel and how you don't. And fourth of all that's so creepy—

    "It's all basic observation, don't tell me you even lack such basic skills?"

    He at least stopped stupidly smiling at you and instead replaced his smile with a look of confusion mixed with annoyance.

    Now thinking about it, his smile at least wasn't making you feel stupid.

   "Ah... well! Maybe those are basic observation skills, but it's still creepy."

    He just shrugged at you, "Are you done so I can eat in peace and leave, or not?"

    "Of course no! Look, you might think it's impossible but I'm sure there's a way."

    Though, honestly, you started to think it was impossible too. Getting impossible maybe, since you still had the smalest hope that he will agree and help you, but seeing his reaction and how stubborn he was... 

    The confidence was slowly starting to disappear.  

    "There has to be options other than talking with our parents then." you started, "I don't know, just straight up refusing and hoping they will understand—"

    "A teenage rebellion won't help—"

    "Goddamn it, stop interrupting me!" You could feel people's stares at your back.

    "Then start speaking with sense." 

    "And you stop acting like an asshole. What's so hard in trying to talk with me? It won't hurt you to work with me for a minute or two."

    You didn't asked for anything more at this point, you knew it wouldn't work so the least you asked for was a moment of attention, just so he could listen to what you have to say without stupid comments the whole time.

    Was it too much?

    Scaramouche got up from his chair.

    What?

    "Look, I'm not going to discuss with you anything else." he said, "You still can't understand that your words don't matter a thing here."

    "And that's exactly why I called you an asshole..." you mumbled to yourself, "Give me a chance maybe? It might look stupid and impossible to you but I swear..."

    You wanted to laugh at how desperate you sounded. God, one second more and you will do everything for him to listen to you and you weren't happy with that.

    "Are you just so fucking naive, or just so stupid?" Naive for thinking that he could help you, but stupid? No, you weren't stupid—

    "I told you way too many times that it won't work to waste my time on you any longer."

    And. That was it. He actually left. Left you alone here. You didn't even managed to order a cake yet. Anything! And he, somehow, had the time to finish his own! Or that's what you thought upon noticing an empty place on his side.

    But the anger and confusion were quick to turn into embarrassment. You probably made a fool out of yourself and you are nowhere close to having anyone wanting to help you. Other than Rosa with her genius advices and Ajax that can't do anything too. 

    You felt hopeless, you really did but you knew that no, it's not time yet to give up. No. Maybe talking with him was a total failure and, God, you wished you didn't, but... there has to be another way. 

    No, there has to be. You will find something, if the plan A didn't worked, then you will just find a plan B and make it work at all cost. 

︿