14 » a surprise

a/n: this chapter was written after months of break! forgive any inconsistency + important note at the end of the chapter

  ︿

  「All filler episodes had to end one day. 」

    The ones in your life too, like the meeting with Scaramouche. And you knew that, of course, you did, but... you didn't expect the way it ended. 

    And it ended badly.

    You were eating outside, in peace, simply listening to all the sounds around you. The birds, trying their hardest to get their song through the roar of engines and the howl of ambulance sirens. The people, cheerfully talking, sharing news, gossips.

   A couple walking past you, a young girl smiling at the other, pulling her hand. You heard their voices but didn't understand the words. Though, you didn't really need to understand them to know how happy they were together.

    You wondered, will it ever be you?

   Just be happy with someone you love.

   Two teenagers sat at the next table, one staring at the phone screen, the other nervously watching the former. You stared at them for a while, until one of them jumped up in his seat with a cry of joy, and the other joined him.

   Despite all, you smiled.

   Scaramouche rolled his eyes and muttered something under his breath that... sounded very much like complaining about 'young people today and their loud habits', and how 'they can't behave outside and not scream halfway down the street'.

    Somewhere else, you saw a crying little girl next to her mother, that was trying to calm her down. The words of comfort were in vain and only the pink, plush bunny managed to help, just a little, silence the crying of the child.

   And yet, despite the plush in her hands, she continued to cry.

   You didn't like children, no. Or more like, they weren't something you desired in life. You couldn't picture yourself as a parent, not now at least.

   The crying only stopped when the mother embraced the girl and began to stroke her head. A thought crossed your mind, a hug like this must have been really nice, right? 

   You looked at your plate with the almost untouched cake. Everything around you was so alive and yet, you felt dead. Like some kind of puppet in a theater, with its whole life written in a script, from the first sentence to the last dialogue, from the first day of life to the last.

   Oh, dear. You were exaggerating, weren't you?

   This wasn't some teenage story where you could blame the fate and universe for everything bad that happened to you, but harsh reality. 

   You sighed. How great it would be if it was, in fact, a teenage story where the protagonist goes through the most unbelievable life experiences, but in the end everything ends well for them. They learn a valuable life lesson, and the readers praise them for surviving and being so brave, and—

    You heard a knock on the table and looked up. Scaramouche was looking at you, a slight scowl apparent on his face.

   "What?" 

   "You've been stabbing this cake for the last minute." He pointed at the mentioned piece of pastry, now with multiple fork holes in it. You shrugged and took a piece of it.

    It was way too sweet for your taste.

   "I was thinking." you started after swallowing, and Scaramouche snorted.