9 » a first hand embarrassment

「 "(y/n)?"」

    "I'm changing my clothes, give me five minutes more..."

    It was a lie actually.

    "Hurry up, then! None of us has time to wait for you to finally get ready!"

    You were already done with everything for the past ten minutes, now just sitting on your bed, phone in your hand and in a bad mood. You just... didn't wanted to go.

    It was weekend now and time for the 'sudden, yet very important meeting with Scaramouche'. You asked your parents at least twice if they can't just cancel it (or if you can't cancel it yourself, you're not a kid after all) but nothing seemed to work.

    You didn't even knew where are you going. 

    You were not a kid, yet everyone treated you like one.

    Either way, you couldn't play for time anymore and you actually had to get up and leave your room. But you didn't rushed it. Slowly, step by step down the stairs, you had to go to the bathroom too, spend a moment in the kitchen because, oh, you just suddenly got thirsty..

     Ah.

     This all was tragic. 

     Why couldn't the car break? Like, the tire go flat or something. Or start raining. It would be stupid to go outside in a bad weather, you didn't knew if Scaramouche hasn't planned something outside, so?

    It would be only logical to stay at home.

    ...well.

    The sun was shining, your dad apparently was 'happy, because his car is all working properly', so there was no goddamn chance for the fate to listening to you and granting your wishes.

    Or, maybe, you could just leave the meeting place as fast as you can without your parents knowing– or him knowing, but that, too, felt a bit too hard. 

    A sigh. You looked at the half full glass and got up from the kitchen chair.

    You just hoped for everything to go well. 

︿

    "...an art gallery?"

    "Got a problem with that?"

    "Yes, I have many problems with you."

    You were supposed to be nice to him. 

    Supposed was the keyword.

    "For someone who wanted to get along with me, you sure are the nicest person here."

    But.

    It already was hard.

    "...okay, I'm sorry." You forced yourself to not sound annoyed with him, "Just. Had some unpleasent moments with my family before the meeting."

    He just gave you a quick look before looking away.

    It was a good excuse and, well, you didn't exactly lied. You really had some unpleasent moments with your parents, just... not right before the meeting. Day before. Two days. 

   "Can I at least ask why here?"

    You knew this place, you were here one time, with your mom and brother. She was so happy to show you this place, the paintings here, she loved them so much. And you liked them too.

    You wondered how much this place changed. 

    "They all say that an art gallery is a good place for a meeting, don't they?" You nodded in answer. Ever better would be leaving you alone, not bothering you with stupid things...

    "Cool. What's the super important thing we have to talk about?" 

    You thought it probably will be something about the gallery... or the marriage... both, perhaps? Whatever it was, you didn't wanted to talk with him at all. 

    In response, you got silence. 

    Like, four seconds of silence.

    "I've heard you're interested in painting."

    "I am not." A quick answer. 

    "Really?" He looked at you and just by the smile you knew, "Your parents said differently."

    Ah. 

    Why you're not surprised by this?

    All their friends knows about you and your paintings, how good you are at it and how many competitions you won, how popular you are in school for this... Everyone knew but no one cared about this. 

    "...alright, I do, but I don't see a reason why should we talk about this."

    "Can't I be interested in this?"

    You raised your eyebrows. In no way you could see him, out of all people, being interested in anything about you. Genuinely interested.

    "Doubt you are actually interested in my hobby." You shrugged. You heard him sighing deeply, his stupidly confident smile turning into a frown.

    "I will say it again, but for someone wanting to get along you really suck at it." He looked away and opened the doors to the building. He went inside first, of course. 

    You forgot about it. You got too annoyed by him to even care about this and you fucked up again, okay, great–

    "God, what the fuck..." You groaned. Okay, deep breath. Think of an excuse– or you can still try and go with your parents being shitty... You doubted it will work  anymore, it was too clear that you didn't wanted to talk with him, so...

    You went inside.

    You immediately noticed that the gallery didn't really changed... not that it was a problem, no. It was nice to revisit some of your memories. 

    Or at least you would if not a certain person looking at you with a dull stare. You took a deep breath and walked closer to him.  

    "Things are hard for me, you know?" The only excuse you could thought of is to act all sad and hurt by the world, "I... really want to get along, but it's just... hard. My parents keep complaining about this and, honestly, you aren't the nicest here too—"

    "Trying to shift the blame? Now that's something I didn't excepted..."

    That's embarrassing. 

    "No, I'm just saying that your personality s... is hard to deal with sometimes." That was kinda the same thing, but anyways, "Okay, you know what– let's forget this convo! I will be nicer if you try to be nice to me. At least today. Please."

    That's so embarrassing. Scaramouche was smarter than you thought– or you just sucked at talking with people and the knowledge you had from dumb movies was useless. Probably both. God.

    But he seemed to actually think about your proposition so... maybe your total disaster of a plan wasn't a full failure? And the embarrassment you got from yourself wasn't for nothing? Wow, that would be so great—

    "If you tell me more about your little hobby of yours then..." He stopped for a bit. On goddamn purpose, "...maybe we can come to an agreement."

    A sigh. You looked around before nodding your head. 

    At this point, you had no hopes left that anything will go well today.

︿

the title of this chapter describes it all. except i had second hand embarrassment while writing this. also. there's kaeya fanfic coming! with a good ending, unlike this fic- you guys know this one has a bad ending in a way... right lol