12 » a complaint

important a/n under the chapter   

   「 This wasn't friendship, no. 」

    Your relationship with Scaramouche started to change with each meeting you had, but you just couldn't call it a friendship. You two would hang out when needed, complain about everything and go home when time came. But it was true that, somehow, you grew closer. Not very close, but enough to casually complain about your parents, siblings, everything.

    Yes, that was the only thing that made you two closer.

    It was pretty much an accident, when one time he came really annoyed to your meeting place and (unprompted) started rambling and grumbling about... well. It started with his sister being annoying and ended on you both complaining about your siblings.

    It was funny. 

    Scaramouche and his sister, Ei, seemed to... well, hate each other. With how Scaramouche talked about her, from stories you just thought they can't stand each other, but at the same time he was always first to defend her from their parents. His words didn't seemed to match his actions.

    With you and Ajax however...

    "Seriously, I can't with him... as if years of non-existing siblings bond can be fixed just like that!"

    Because, well, you noticed that he was lately acting more like a brother, rather than a distant friend you talk with once a month. He was talking with you, asking how are you doing and trying his hardest to help you or comfort you, but...

    It took him so long.

    You should be grateful– well, at least that's what your parents, your dad would say but you just couldn't.

    "At least your brother wants to do anything with you." he huffed, "Because my sister would gladly kick me out of the house."

    Oh.

    "It can't be that bad?"

    "It is, (y/n)."

    There was a moment of silence.

    "Don't think too much about it." You nodded anyway. Well, not like you really cared about this family issues anyways. You had your own problems after all... and yet you couldn't help but wonder–

    "...do you actually hate her?"  You asked quietly and Scaramouche seemed to be startled a bit, unexcpeting the question. He stared at you for a bit before looking away and sighing. 

    "I mean, don't answer if you—"

    "I don't. Why do you want to know?" He looked back at you, his gaze different from the one he had. Oh, you could tell it wasn't a topic he liked.

    "I was just curious, I thought you do." Even though you still could see the small amount of care.

    You looked back at your unfinished coffee. You should be going soon, your parents said something about wanting to talk with you about the marriage... Probably the same stuff as usual, preparations and how's your relationship with Scara is going. 

    You finished your drink quickly and were about to get up and say your goodbyes, but Scara's voice interrupted you.

    "Do you?

    Did you? 

    You understood Ajax was busy. Busy with school, busy with your parents, you were busy too, it was hard to maintain normal relationship. You knew it all, but...

    "I don't, I just..." You stopped for a second to get your words straight, "I don't know, it would be cool if he started talking with me earlier. Not when my life got ruined and he somehow found some time to spare."

   You were dissapointed that things turned out this way. Ajax cared about you, he really did, anyone could see that, but you spent too much time alone.

    "I know we both were busy and he's not a bad person actually, but... I can't just act like everything is okay between us, you know? Maybe not now, at least." Maybe you just need time, maybe you two need to talk one day, whatever it is, you didn't wanted to think of it right now. 

    Scaramouche nodded and didn't answered any more.

    "What about you?" The answer you got was a roll of his eyes. 

    "Are we on some siblings therapy right now?" You chuckled and shook your head.

    "No, no, I asked because you asked... Anyways, I have to go."

    You could swear that for a very good second, he looked a bit unhappy about that. Maybe you were seeing things. Very possible.

    "Finally, the convo was getting boring." Ah, back to old Scaramouche. But this time, instead of getting slightly offended, you just shrugged and smiled at him.

    "Well, it was you who started it."

    He narrowed his eyes.

    "Just go already." 

    You got up from the chair and took your bag. You stood there for a second, thinking of right thing to say, but–

   "If you wonder if we can meet this week then no, I'm busy."

    "Mhm. Okay." Another second of silence, followed by your steps, "It was nice to talk, Scara."

    "Likewise."

    Was it obvious yet that both if you didn't really wanted to go home yet? You, because you actually enjoyed talking with him (at least today) and didn't wanted to go to your parents and Scara... well, he had a reason for sure. 

    So you thought of something. He was just about to scold you for staying here any longer, but you, for once, were faster to speak.

    "Do you have to go home now?"

    "Do you already miss me that you want to stay for longer?" He smiled in this his annoying way and you huffed. The audacity!

    "No, I just don't want to go home yet."

    "Your parents can wait?"

    "My parents can wait."

    He stared at you for a second before getting up, "Well then. You better keep me entertained."

    "God, as if it wasn't you who agreed first!" 

    "Cool, we will argue outside, now move."

    Your relantioship with him wasn't friendship, no. You would always say this, you would only meet when needed and you would just complain about everything, rather than have a proper convo, but... 

    He made you feel listened. And that was nice, even if you weren't sure if he actually listened to you. There were moment when you would forget that this all is just a simple arrangement to keep your family's name on top. To keep the gallery popular. 

    And sometimes you wished for those moments to last forever.

︿

yes i am continuing this story, no i don't know when i'll post next chapter because i deal with school, family and both mental&physical health problems so my motivation to do stuff is just... nonexisting sometimes. the chapter's quality suffer because of it too, sorry! also, we are almost in the middle of this story... wow. there might be a chance of second part of this story (book? fanfic?), we will see. anyways, can you tell already that i don't have siblings lol and merry christmas if you celebrate! or just have a nice day if you don't!!