Chapter Twelve: Leaving

I looked to Anna, her eyes as fearful as mine. "You know if she takes you Heather, she won't let me near you." He eyes filled with tears as she looked at me, "I can't lose you."

I ran to her and threw my arms around her, squeezing her tight. "I won't let her win Anna. I won't let her break us apart." I looked at my dad who was nervously fumbling with his phone, "when's she coming?" I asked. He shook his head, confused. "They should have a warrant any minute now." I ran to the side of my bed, throwing my clothes in the suitcase I brought. "What're you doing?!" Anna asked me, rushing to my side. "I'm not going to let her separate us," I said jamming my clothes in the bag, "we're leaving." Anna crouched beside me and began to pack her stuff with mine when we heard a pounding on the door.

"That must be them!" My dad said, his voice filled with fear, "you two girls run out the back while I answer it. When they come in the house, then start your car and leave." Anna and I ran around to the back porch that overlooked the mountains. I sighed at the view, knowing that I wouldn't be able to see this for quite a while. Anna tugged my hand, pulling me out of my trance and forcing me to move to the back of the car. We ducked behind her Lexus as we watched the police enter my house. Quickly and quietly we threw my bags in the back, and shit the trunk. As soon as we were packed I heard a male voice yell, "they're driving away! Stop them!" I turned to see three cops heading our way, as Anna and I jumped into her car. She started the engine, zooming out of the driveway, just in time to see my dad looking at us through the window. I hoped he'd be okay.

Anna and I didn't stop driving for hours, until we were well out of LA. The cops had stopped following us miles ago we assumed, since we hasn't seen any for hours. Anna looked over at the GPS, which was saying we were heading north. "What're we going to do now?" She asked me, her eyes focused on the road. I sighed and stared out the window, watching the scenery fly by. "I honestly don't know. We have no money, no place to stay.. I never thought it'd come to this." She reached over, entwining her fingers with mine, "do you trust me?" She asked hopefully. I chuckled at her question and rubbed her hand with my thumb, "of course I do. What kind of question is that?" She looked over at me and gave me a slight smile, "then get comfortable because this trip might take a while."

"What do you mean?" I asked, confused." She laughed slightly and entered a new address into the GPS, "I know where we're going."