Chapter Twenty-Three: Loved

Hearing Isabella's name reminded me of everything that had happened.. How I realized that Anna had been cheating on me the entire time, and how Isabella had kissed me. "Yeah, Isabella told me a few things." I mumbled, tears coming to my eyes, "tell me Anna, did you feel guilty when you were fucking her behind my back?" I barked at her. 

My doctor cleared her throat uncomfortably, "I'll check on you in a little bit Heather." She said walking out the door. As it clicked shut, I glanced back at Anna whose brow was furrowed, "what are you talking about, Heather?"  

I scoffed and rearranged myself so I was sitting upright, "Isabella told me everything about you two." Anna shook her head at me, and reached for my hand, "Heather, she's a pathological liar. She always has been." I jerked my hand away and folded my arms over my chest, "really?" She frowned at me, recoiling from me rejecting her touch, "Heather, she--"  

My mom opened the hospital door, interrupting Anna mid-sentence, "I hope I'm not coming in at a bad time?" She asked hesitantly, peeking her head around the door. "No, you're fine. I'll give you two some time to talk." Anna said reaching over and squeezing my hand and giving me a small smile, but I refused to look back at her. My mom smiled at Anna and gave her a small hug, "she'll come around Annabelle." My mom said, calling Anna by her full name. Anna left the room, shutting the door behind her as my mom sat down next to my bed.  

She smiled at me and tucked a piece of hair behind my ear, "still beautiful." She whispered, planting a kiss on my forehead. I faintly smiled at her, and reached for her hand, "I'm glad you're here." She gave me hand a squeeze and rubbed my palm with her thumb, "well, I wouldn't be if it wasn't for Anna."  

"She called you?" I asked with a surprised tone. My mom chuckled at me and reached down, stroking my cheek with her thumb, "I was the first person she called. She wanted to make sure I knew that had happened." My mom took a deep breathe and looked towards the door Anna just left from, "she really loves you Heather." I looked up at her, although she was still facing away from me. I saw the tears form on the corner of her eyes as they trickled down her cheek.  

"Oh mom, don't cry!" I pleaded, reaching out for her. She hugged me tightly, rubbing my back, "I'm so sorry Heather." She whispered between sobs. "I know mom, I know." I assured her, stroking her back. 

We sat there for a while, enjoying the comforting feeling of being enveloped in a hug, until my mom pulled away, wiping her eyes. "You know Heather, I was just scared for you when you told me about you and Anna." She sighed and gave me a worried look, "after what happened between your dad and I-- him leaving me for another man, I guess I've been bitter." She frowned and looked down at her freshly manicured hands, "but now I realize how much you truly mean to Anna. She hasn't left your bedside for two days straight." I smiled slightly down at my hands, thinking of Anna refusing to leave me for 48 hours straight.  

I heard a knock at the door, as Anna peered back inside, "Heather, can I talk to you quick? I was going to get you chocolate pudding but I--" I cut her off mid-sentence as I ran from my hospital bed, and wrapped my arms tightly around her, planting my lips against hers. I felt my mom sneak by us, and shutting the door behind her.  

"Heather, what's that for?" Anna murmured against my lips." I didn't pull back, but smile against her lips, "because Anna, I love you."