Chapter Fourteen: Scantuary

"Heather I live on my own." She said. What? What does she mean live on her own? She ran away, bought her own house? "What're you talking about Anna?" I asked, clearly confused.

She sighed and ran a hand through her dark brown hair, "I don't live with my parents." I tilted my head as I looked at her, unsure of what she meant, "why not?" She frowned and started at her shoes, "I don't have any."

I stared at her in shock, "where are they? In another country?" She gave me a sad smile and shook her head slightly, "Heather my parents are dead. When they died they left me their entire savings, and since I don't have any close family, I'm on my own." I ran to her and hugged her tightly, ignoring our driver impatiently tapping his foot. "I'm so sorry." I whispered as I stroked her hair. She pulled back and kissed me lightly, "Heather it's alright. You didn't know. But now we're here, and everything is going to be alright." She said convincingly. I grinned and nodded, she was right.

After the long thirty minute limo drive through the New York traffic, I was impatient to move my legs, "Anna, can we just walk the rest of the way?" I asked, glancing out the window at the extravagant white condominium in front of me. She chuckled an tucked my hair behind her ear, "I'd say yes, but we're already here." She said opening her door. My mouth gaped open as I realized what she was referring to, "you live here?!" I asked in astonishment, gawking at the gleaming white building. She grabbed our bags from the trunk and handed the driver a twenty dollar bill, "only in the summer" she said with a wink.

We stepped inside on the marble flooring as a uniformed door man opened the ginormous glass doors for us. Anna rolled her suitcase along and waved at the women who was at the lobby desk, "good to see you again Ms.Anna." She said with a smile.

We walked into the elevator as Anna pressed the "pent house" button. "You've got to be kidding me!" I said with a shake of my head in awe. Anna grabbed my hand and kissed my finger tips, "you need to calm down." I felt the warmth of her breath on my hands, the comforting feeling of her lips against my skin. And suddenly, everything felt better.

We stepped out of the elevator and into the hallway, as Anna unlocked the door. I gasped at the sight I was welcomed with. The marble counter tops of the kitchen gleamed from the sunlight coming in through the wall of windows in the living room. The huge flat screen TV hovered over the plush beige couches with fresh cut lilies placed on the center table. I walked around the corner, into her bedroom. The walls were painted a faint violet as her queen sized mattress was covered with a soft, satin, grey comforter; it was breathtaking.

"Anna, this is incredible." I sighed, looking out the windows at the view of the city. She smiled as she sat next to me on the bed, "well get used to it, because we'll be here for a while." I frowned at her comment and stared out the window, "it's sad isn't it? How ignorant she is." I said, referring to my mother. Anna rubbed my back and kissed my cheek softly, "Heather, it will all be okay. I promise."

But little did Anna know, she shouldn't make promises she can't keep.

(Authors note: if you like the story of have any suggestions, send me a message. And/or give me a vote. Te updates might be slow lately, but I'm hoping to be able to do more soon! Love you all.)