Chapter Twenty-Two: Awake

"Hold on, she's waking up." I heard faintly in the distance. I squinted my eyes open to the iridescent lights of a hospital room, and arching my neck to see where the voice was coming from. My mom stood next to me, smiling down, tearing forming at her eyes, "oh my god honey, I'm so glad you're okay. We were all so worried about you." I rubbed my eyes in shock and confusion: what was my mom doing here? "We? Whose we?" I asked, my voice sounding groggy.

"Well," she said with a faint smile on her face, "me, dad, Anna.." Her voice trailed off, as looked to the corner of the room. There, Anna sat in the rickety hospital chair, her hands cupped under her head, and her eyes closed. "She hasn't left your side since you got here." My mom whispered to me, grinning. She walked over to Anna, and shook her slightly, "Anna, she's awake now." Anna's eyes sprung open as she ran to my side and threw herself over me, embracing me in a hug. I heard the door click shut and the sound of my moms heels clicking out the door as Anna's tears hit my face.

"Oh, don't cry love." I pleaded, stroking her face with my thumb. She buried her face into my shoulder, her breathe shaking and heavy, "I was so worried Heather."

"Shhhh," I whispered, "it's alright. Everything's okay now." I stroked her hair with my free hand, the other trapped under her embrace. "I'm so sorry Heather." She said, her voice shaky and heavy. "I know Anna." I whispered as I kissed her cheek, "I know."

We sat there, in that exact position, for the longest time until my doctor came back into the room, "Oh! I hope I'm not interrupting anything!" She said at the sight of Anna and I.

"Oh, no you're not." Anna said wiping the blotchy mascara from under her eyes, "do what you have to do." The doctor gave Anna a slight smile and walked towards me, glancing at the heart monitor above my hospital bed.

"How're you feeling Heather?" She asked me, jotting notes down on a clip board. "Uhm, really good?" I said clearing my throat, "I think I was just light headed because I was hungry." I ran a free hand through my hair and glanced up at Anna, "I knew I should've ate something." I added with a nervous laugh.

The doctor chuckled as she grabbed my wrist to feel my pulse, "actually Heather, there was a lot more serious problem that occurred with your body." She wrote more notes down on her clip board, as she glanced at my heart monitor.

"More serious?" I asked, sitting up quickly. "Ouch!" I said wincing in pain from my sudden movement. "Easy now," the doctor said, "fresh ditches never feel good." I looked down at my arm that had at least ten stitches and another spot wrapped in bandages.

"You were lucky the ambulance was called right away Heather. Otherwise you wouldn't have woken up for a while." I shook my head, which only made me feel light-headed and nausea. "What happened?"

Anna reached out and squeezed me hand, "Isabella. That's what happened."