F-Fall for You (Secondhand Serenade)

May 2007

Prom night in the bathroom, of course, that's what would happen to Ryan. Why would he have thought anything else? Why would he think he can be vulnerable and honest with friends?

"Ryan, I'm coming in." Kelsi's voice rings through the opening to the men's room.

"No, you can't be in here." It's a weak excuse at best.

"Oh tough." She hugs him softly, he's sure this isn't what she wanted for her prom either. They came together, as friends, though some people seemed to think they made the perfect couple.

"I'm not gonna be that guy Kels." She raises her eyebrow at him. "I'm not gonna be some pining, heartbroken, gay, homewrecker." He hates that there are real tears in his eyes.

"Is that a common stereotype?" Kelsi laughs but it's much more like a scoff, much more of a stop being a stupid dramatic 17-year-old and pull yourself together. Ryan knows she's right.

"I just- maybe thinking I could ever really be a Wildcat was a stupid idea." That's the truth. Yes, Ryan's hurt that he's let himself fall for Chad and become a cliché, but he's misread signals and been rejected before. The fear is in Chad telling everyone, painting what had genuinely been kindness as some kind of deception. He wouldn't be Ryan anymore. He would end High school right where he had started it, a villain, an Evans, a nobody.

"Will you come back for one more dance? Just the one and then you can go back to moping or we can leave. Please?" Ryan huffs a little, but he does love dancing, especially with Kelsi who just picks up on the next move. Plus, if he's honest, he can't handle the thought that he is maybe ruining her prom too.

It is, however, a trap. Chad's waiting just outside.

"Thank you, Kelsi." They hug quickly before she turns back to Ryan.

"Sorry, had to do what I had to do. You understand." Then she leaves. Ryan doesn't understand, not at all. Now a silence hangs there before Chad tries to break it.

"Ryan..."

"No," It's another quiet moment before Ryan starts back up. "You know, I try so hard to be happy and comfortable with myself. I may misread or misunderstand certain things, but is that a sin that you are suddenly free of? I am not some sort of toy or science experiment." Ryan isn't 100% sure where he is going with this, only that he is going.

"Ryan, I never wanted to learn to dance for Taylor." Chad interrupts.

"What?" Ryan is so lost.

"I was afraid you wouldn't teach me if I told you the truth, well at least the whole truth. I did have to come to prom with Taylor because her parents think we're together and both of our families wanted photos." Chad starts to speak faster and faster.

"What?" If this is a prank it isn't funny.

"So, I have spent the whole night trying and failing, and far too scared to ask you to dance. I wasn't even sure if it was something you'd want to do in front of everyone and I'm still not very good at it and I really want to impress you and then I made you upset and I am running out of time and..." He's just rambling

"What?" Ryan can't find any other words.

"Ryan, can I have this dance?"