P-Perfect (Ed Sheeran)

May 2015

"Just patch it up well enough so I can finish this run and then I'll see someone else to get the real deal after it closes." Ryan demands reminding everyone in earshot of that Evans pedigree.

"Well enough for this show? Maybe. For the whole run? What is wrong with you to think that is doable?" Chad bites back a little more fed up than Ryan is hoping for.

"You said yourself it's not broken so tell me what over the counters will bring the swelling down and which ankle brace will fit under the costume and then I can make it through." Ryan knows he should stop pushing, but he can't lose this part.

"There the wrap is on and so are you." He barely looks up.

"Okay," Ryan heads back out on stage and finishes the show with minor pain. Though, now he has Chad to worry about.

He seems like a whole different person by the time Ryan is off stage, handing him a bouquet and giving him a big hug.

"You were incredible, like always. I am so proud of you, really powering through." Is this actually the same chad?

"I'm sorry for being a brat," Chad doesn't seem to register that he is even being spoken to.

"Ready to go?" He grabs his coat and Ryan's hand, heading to the car without waiting for an answer. Once they get to the car Chad starts to look more concerned. "How does the ankle feel? Can you put any pressure on it?"

"Honestly it doesn't hurt nearly as bad, I can put a bit of pressure but not full." Ryan demonstrates.

"I'm not a hardass just to you about this, in fact I try to hold back. I see so many kids push when I tell them to rest and lose their whole careers." Ryan notes the pain in his eyes, one of those kids is him ignoring his own PT's advice.

"I get that, I do. But babe, I need this, I need to be on stage. I have to be or..." He starts to ramble.

"Or you're worthless? Or was everyone's belief in you misplaced?" Chad challenges and Ryan just stares at him. "I had the option to go into sports medicine when I could barely walk. Who are you gonna choreograph when you can't dance?"

"I- what the fuck..." Ryan is too stunned to even leave.

"Ryan you are stronger than anyone I know, I have faith in you making the right decision every other time. Please take care of your body. If not for yourself, for the kids we may have someday who will want to learn how to dance and won't from me. For our wedding day. For tonight." Chad holds out his hand and Ryan grabs it hesitantly.

"What is happening right now?" The emotion changed so quickly and Ryan realises that the snapping is classic secret keeping/stressed Chad.

"There was a time when I looked at you and felt like this and had no clue that that was love. We were just kids, fighting some incredible odds not just to be together but just to be. So if we lost everything right now the only things I could hold were your hand and your heart it would be more than enough." Chad looks Ryan right in his eyes as he speaks and it feels like he is searching for his script in there.

"Chad-" Ryan can't even think of what to say.

"Ryan Evans," Chad says, kneeling down on one knee and producing a polished silver band. "Will you marry me?"

"Yes oh my god of course I will." Ryan leans down and kisses Chad. "You couldn't have picked a time where I didn't look a mess so we could take photos." Ryan whispers against his fiance's forehead.

"You look perfect." Chad whispers back, pulling Ryan back in for another kiss.