Chapter 13

The hallways were filled with students but not a single noise could be heard. Everyone was flat out staring at my bodyguards, at least I thought they were staring at my bodyguards. But then I realized they were just staring at me. I understood why, apparently I was a legend here, but that didn't give them the right to openly gawk at me as if I were some science experiment.

So I took Marco's advice and head my head high to show them how superior I actually was. Marco grunted his approval as we started off down the hall with Marco in front, Luke on my left, and Toni on my right. As we made our way down the hall, students literally got out of our way, forming a path for us to follow. It was strange that even though I had never once met these people, they basically worshiped my family and I.

Just as we were about to reach the end of the hall to turn, a student stepped out in front of us. He was shorter than us with sandy blonde hair and pale eyes. Nothing about him really stood out but maybe he'd grow into his looks, he did look pretty young after all. Maybe fourteen.

"Hello again Marco." The boy spoke first, smiling up at Marco as if he were his idol.

I saw Marco reach forward and ruffle the hair sitting on top of the boys head, "Hey Derek, how's life in the Academy?"

This boy named Derek smiled even bigger as Marco ruffled his hair, it was actually kind of cute. As if this kid was Marco's little brother though I knew he had no family besides Ryder. Derek shrugged casually, "Same old, same old. How's life out in the world?"

"Boring as hell, kiddo." Marco chuckled, "Be happy you don't have to deal with it."

That tipped my interest, what did that mean? Were the kids that attended this school unable to go out into the world? Were they held prisoners here, because I wouldn't survive here if I never got to go shopping ever again.

"Is that really her?" Derek whispered, yet somehow I had a feeling that everyone in the hall had heard his question because I literally heard them hold their breath.

Marco's smile broadened and he stepped to the side, revealing me to the kid in front of him, "As a matter of fact, it is. Derek, this is Harmony Croft. Harmony, this is a friend of mine."

I stepped forward and to my surprise, Derek stumbled away from me. I couldn't figure out why but it didn't really matter. I stepped forward again, this time much slower than before, and reached my hand out to shake his, "It's nice to meet you Derek."

His pale eyes looked to my hand before shifting to look at Marco, silently asking permission. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Marco nod. And with that, Derek gently reached his hand out and clasped it softly around mine. He shook it once and then jerked his hand back, "I'm Derek."

I offered him another smile. Then I stood back, Marco returned to his spot in front of me, and we started off down the hall once more. I felt every single set of eyes on my back, practically burning a hole right through me. So just before we turned the corner, I turned around to face everyone staring at me. I shot all of them a wink and blew a kiss in their general direction before turning back around and trailing after my bodyguards once more.

I heard their gasps even from where I was in the other hall. When I began snickering, Marco looked at me over his shoulder and smiled at me, "That's what I'm talking about princess, show em up."

Before I had time to answer he had turned back around but I was smiling to myself, happy that I hadn't embarrassed my bodyguards. It seemed like they were a pretty big deal around here and the last thing I wanted was to shame them. They spent each day watching out for me, so the least I could do was watch out for them even if it's in a small way.