Chapter 8

“For the last time dad, nothing happened!” I basically shouted through clenched teeth.

Did my father seriously have no faith in me at all?

He came home from work, found Marco and I in the bathroom, all but broke the door down, and pulled Marco out of the room by his hair. Like really? Were we back in the caveman era because that's exactly how my father was acting right now.

“What did you do to my daughter?” My father barked at Marco, throwing his suit jacket onto my bed beside him. I hadn't seen my father this barbaric since those men took my mother, and that was a long time ago.

“I'm so sorry sir, I meant no disrespect.” Marco apologized yet again. He was backed against the wall, his eyes locked on a far off spot high enough that my father couldn't break his gaze. It had taken me all of five seconds to hop out of the tub and slip into my bathrobe, water still dripping down my body as I raced into my room to defuse the situation.

“You didn't answer my question. What did you do to my daughter?” My father growled, rolling up the sleeves to his dress shirt as if he were going to fight Marco. And knowing how my bodyguard was with authority, he wouldn't fight back. So I jumped in between the two men before either of them had a chance to do anything, or in Marco's case, not do anything.

“Dad stop!” I put my hands up to stop my father as he advanced on Marco who was as still as a statue, “We didn't do anything! He was just protecting me.”

“Inside the damn bathroom?” My father interrogated, throwing his hands in the air.

I ran my fingers through my now free flowing hair though it was frizzy, “He was protecting me from out here. But I felt bad that he had to just sit around so I invited him in there, to talk. That's all we did. Was talk. And you come in here, treating him like a criminal.” It wasn't a total lie...

My dad placed both of his hands on my shoulders and spoke slowly as if I wouldn’t be able to comprehend him if he didn't, “You are my daughter and when I find a boy in your bathroom while you're taking a bath, what am I suppose to think?”

“I don't know, maybe that I'm not a whore.” I exclaimed, pushing his hands away from me.

My dad dropped his hands and let out a long breath, “Please don't talk like that around me. I do not think you are a … whore, Harmony. But I will always be your father and that means being suspicious of your every action.”

I let out a hysterical laugh, “Oh I'm sorry, now you're concerned about me? How about when I went clubbing and was almost kidnapped, where were you then? That's right, you were at work. And where were you when I got blown up? At work. You didn't even ask me if I was okay, I bet all you did was cry over your stupid car.”

“Harmony that is not true!” My dad yelled back at me.

But it was like a dam had opened and I couldn't stop what was coming through, “My life has spiraled out of control and you don't even care. You haven't even been around long enough to ask me how my day has been or if I'm okay. This is the first conversation I've had with you in over a month that's been longer than a minute.”

My dad stood frozen as he watched me cry out my true feelings, tears now gathering in my eyes. I wasn't the type to cry, I hated the way I looked and the way I felt afterwards. So if I had tears in my eyes, then the situation must be really bad. And it was. My own father was completely oblivious to everything going on in my life. But I wouldn't be one of those girls who cried to get pity from those around her.

So I pushed past him and ran from my room, racing towards the doors which lead out onto the wrap around porch resting on the second floor of the house.