The Attic

Even though the Greens had it made it seem comfortable for Jane but something still caused Jane stress.
It was the house, its wooden floor, the windows, the backyard and especially the feeling Jane had while the Greens drove through the driveway.
It felt that she had been here, a long time ago.
Jane had seen the whole house except for the attic and every room had given her a strange sense of attachment, but of course, she could not remember ever being here.
It was 7 in the evening.
Nora had made spaghetti. Everyone was seated at the dining table, while Nora served them.
"So, do you like the room? I and Lora have worked hard to arrange it, the books and all but if there is anything you want to change about it, do let me know " said James, in the most fatherly way.
"It's good," remarked Jane. She room. It was spacious and warm.
"Here you go sweeties" Nora passed the plates to Lora and Jane.
Everyone began to eat in silence. Everything was very quiet. Jane felt that she should at least say something good so that the Greens might not feel that she is strange or weird.
"They are delicious", said Jane in a very low voice, breaking the silence in the dining room.
Nora and James exchanged smiles and it seemed as if they felt relieved.
"I'm happy you liked them. Here have some more." Nora added a spoonful of spaghetti to Jane's plate.
It seemed that the Greens were worried if Jane would be able to get along.
"So Jane, umm...... we have moved in her last week. We keep changing places due to our business. Although everything is arranged, it's only that we have some stuff that needs to be placed in the basement and some might have to be shifted to the attic. Would you like to help us in arranging the stuff tomorrow?" asked Nora.
"Sure, I would love too" answered Jane.
" Great, then you and Lora can arrange the stuff in the attic," Nora suggested
" Okay" agreed Lora and Jane.
" Do you want to play Scrabble after dinner?" asked Lora.
Lora was as old as Jane but she was much more fun and jolly than Jane. It was the circumstances that were different for both of them. One grew up with the nicest parents while the other grew up in an orphanage with the rudest people or being given to different families, so they had to have different personalities. Jane was very sleepy but still, she replied with a nod and a smile.
After they were back in their beds and fallen asleep, it started to snow.
Jane started whining and mumbled, "Stop don't leave me!!"
It was the vision again.
Jane woke up with a gasp. She was relieved that she did not scream and Greens did not get awake. Jane had never discussed her visions with anyone and wanted it to remain that way.
She could not sleep but laid back down and kept staring at the ceiling until she fell asleep.
.
.
.
.
.
The next morning after breakfast, James brought in cartons filled with loads of stuff and divided the cartons among them. Although Jane was disturbed from the last night but still managed to look fresh and fine.
The girls took the cartons to the attic and began to divide the tasks. The attic looked very old and it seemed that nobody in a very long time had been there. There was a metal cupboard, 3 little racks and loads of useless stuff such as a doll with a broken arm, a box of scented candles, torn papers, wooden blocks and mostly cardboard. The attic resembled the room Jane used to see in her visions. As she did not want to think about the visions and put herself in the thought loop again, she stopped paying attention and keep dusting the racks. Lora on the other hand picked up rubbish and collected it in a plastic bag.
" I wonder who might have played with such an ugly doll," Lora remarked as she held the doll the showed it to Jane.
"Maybe it hadn't been this ugly or she went through an accident."
"Maybe, but I'm throwing this away."
Jane shrugged and went back to her work while Lora went to dump the garbage.
Looks like we are done here.
The cartons are all emptied, racks cleaned and garbage picked.
Let's go downstairs now.
Jane thought to herself.
Before she was about to leave, she saw the cupboard and somehow felt the need to open it up and see if it needed to be organised too.
As she opened the door, a crack could be heard.
Suddenly a pile of photos fell out of the cupboard on Jane's feet. She bent down to pick them up.
her eyes kept widening as she looked at the photos.
She could not believe it.
How could it be?
She thought to herself.
.
.
.
.
.
.
Do share your views in the comments and vote if you like.