12 - Scarless Rumors

It was past 9 when I got to the hotel.

The grayish sky of Gotham contrasted to the bright sun I had seen near Wayne Manor. It was then I understood why Bruce preferred to stay so far away from the city; It looked way less depressing.

I pulled the key out of the ignition, debating on how to lock the unfamiliar car, before finally shutting the door and walking into the building. Just as I walk in, I saw almost the whole class standing in the reception, looking like they were waiting for someone.

And judging by the happy look on my friend's faces, Lila wasn't here yet.

"Alya! Chloe!" I shouted out, catching the attention of my friends, and unfortunately, the rest of the class. "Marinette!" Alya shouted back, sounding worried. "I've been worried sick. How could you just leave and send a text message three hours later?" she said again, hugging me tight.

"Melody, we couldn't reach you either." says Luka, making me feel guilty. "I'm sorry guys, my phone died. I was dead asleep last night." I said, making Adrien laugh out loud. "Of course you were. You needed that sleep after yesterday." he said, pointedly.

"I guess I did."

"What happened while I was gone?" I asked, looking at Kagami, who stood to a side, clutching her head while staring at the class. "Ugh, don't even ask." let out Chloe, facepalming.

"Lila somehow made up a rumor that you hadn't come back last night because you were too busy seducing a guy for money; the one who you left with yesterday." says Kagami, annoyed.

"Oh, wow. Why am I not surprised?" I state, face blank. I can't believe Lila managed to convince everyone so fast, but at the same time I could. "That's not the worst part." Adrien states, sighing.

"She almost convinced Ms. Bustier to file a missing persons complaint on you, saying she was worried." he says, as I groaned out loud. "Ms. Bustier managed to stall her saying we should wait until the morning, so thank goodness you're here."

"What is wrong with her?" I hissed, as Adrien laughed, coming near and side-hugging my waist. "What isn't wrong with her?" he asked in reply, making me laugh out loud. Soon, our laughter paused as we heard the rest of the class whisper behind us.

"I can't believe Marinette is trying to seduce Adrien right in front of his girlfriend." scoffed Alix, rolling her eyes. "And I can't believe Adrien is hugging that wh*re in front of his girlfriend. Isn't that just cheating?" let out Kim.

"Who knows? Maybe they're sleeping together." Alix whispers to Kim, quite loudly. "Behind Kagami's back?" Kim whispers. Adrien awkwardly lets go of me as Kagami shifts uncomfortably.

"Hey, didn't Lila say Marinette was hooking up with the older guy yesterday?" asks Ivan, making Rose nod along. "Oh, right. God, what a sl*t." Kim laughs out loud, making the rest of the class glare at me in disgust.

I turn around, ignoring the stares of my classmates as Adrien and I meet eyes. He gives me an apologetic look, knowing he poured gasoline on the fire. I wave him off, used to this. Although, no matter how much I was used to it, it still hurt just as much.

But rumors leave no scars.

And cue, enter the main character.

Lila and Ms. Bustier walk in, Lila looking worried. "...and I'm just concerned about her, you know? She's been caught with drugs a few times and- Oh!" Lila pauses her conversation as she catches sight of me.

My gut told me that she was talking about me.

"M-marinette! Y-you're back." she stutters out, skin slowly paling. "You're okay, right? You didn't overdose this time?" she asks again, making the class gasp out loud. "Mari, you're an addict?" asks Rose, innocently.