23 - Jack Could Have Lived

The movie was going well.

It had become a bit too cold through the night, as Damian had gotten up to get us both the comforter. Unfortunately, there was only one, and he was ready to let me use it, but I suggested we share.

And three hours later, I was practically cuddled up to him, leaning on his chest. Damian, for someone so cold-faced, was undeniably an amazing source of heat. Whether he realized it or not, I was practically on his lap.

We were almost done with the movie, given it had probably been about three hours. Titanic had long sunk, coming to the one scene everyone had an opinion about; the one where Jack gives up his life for Rose.

Jack slowly sunk into the sea.

I could hear Damian scoff behind me. "Dick was right." I could hear Damian speak, his chest vibrating with the sound. "Right how?" I asked, not bothering to look away from the movie, the boat now approaching to rescue Rose.

"Jack could have fitted on that door."

I smiled; of course he hated this.

"He could have." I agreed. "But apparently, people do crazy things for the ones they love." I say again. "Apparently? Have you never been in love?" he asked. I shrugged, although I could barely move, cuddled under Damian.

"I don't think so. I've liked people, but that never lasted. How about you?" I ask. Damian just shrugs, making him slip closer to me. We watched as the end credits rolled onto the screen, making us yawn.

Nevertheless, no one moved.

"You're warm, Damian." I say, shutting my eyes. Damian hums in response, leaning against me. He picks another movie to watch, turning towards me. "Do you want to watch this- oh." he pauses after looking at my state.

"No, no. Put it on." I say, opening my eyes, but not moving away. I look at the movie he chose. "Mission Impossible? That does seem more you." I say. "How do you know I like action movies?" he asks.

"You look like you do."

Damian just raises his eyebrows, although I couldn't see it. He simply starts the movie, putting the remote down next to him. Just as the movie started, I shut my eyes for a minute.

And that minute, wasn't a minute anymore.

.......

Dick Grayson was waiting patiently.

Down in the Batcave, the ravenette sat on the chair, spinning it around in boredom. It was past midnight, and Dick had nothing to do except wait for his brother, who was usually the first one here.

Just as Dick stood up to check on him, the elevator pinged, a figure walking in. Dick's head snapped up to see if it was Damian, only sighing when he saw his father. Bruce had walked in, carrying a packet of chips.

"What?" Bruce asked, trying to hide the chips packet behind him. "I'm telling Alfred." Dick threatened, to which Bruce just sighed, setting it down on the table next to him. "Where is Damian?" Bruce asks, looking around.

Dick shrugs, to which Bruce sighs. "Go check on him." Bruce says. The ravenette nods, going up the elevator and pacing down the corridor to Damian's room. Dick knocked on the door slowly.

"Damian? It's time for patrol."

Dick's voice came out in a whisper, echoing down the empty hallway. "Damian?" he called again, slightly louder. Dick's knocking grew impatient until the ravenette slammed the door open.

Dick switched on the lights to the room, only to find no one in there. He noticed the bed was left untouched, as if no one had slept on that today. Dick furrowed his eyebrows. "Did he run away again?" he whispered, before shaking his head.