27 - The Almost-Kiss

"Holy shit, This is huge!"

Damian and I had arrived at the amusement park after a little over 15 minutes. The amusement park was really huge. It was so colorful, and I could see different rides everywhere, ranging from free falls to roller coasters. I was mesmerized.

"Are you just going to stand there?" asks Damian, interrupting my dream time. I just huffed, crossing my arms. The brunette led me to the ticket counter as we bought tickets and went in without a fight.

Actually, that was a lie.

"Damian, let me pay." I say to him, pulling my wallet out. "No way. I am paying." he said, his wallet already out. He moved to the counter, and I pulled him back. "No way in hell am I going to let you pay for me." I say, still holding his arm.

"Well, fat choice. I am going to pay, and you cannot stop me." he says. "Watch me." I say, trying to steal his wallet from him. He notices and immediately puts it out of my reach.

"No, Marinette."

Wait- Did he just call me Marinette? He never calls anyone by their first name. In my minute of stupor, Damian did something unspeakable. He stole my wallet. Right out of my hand.

"What the hell- Damian!" I shout, but he had already paid for the tickets with his black card. He smirks and waves the two silver tickets in front of my face. I scoff, grabbing mine and walking inside.

After this hassle, we finally got onto the first ride, the free fall, also my favorite one. Right after the small rides, of course. Just for warm up. I was brimming with excitement. I was jumping up and down in the queue, waiting for our chance.

When we were strapped in and it went all the way to the top, I saw Damian look down and gulp. "What? You scared?" I ask, teasing him. "What? No! That is absurd." he says, looking down again.

"Hey, it's okay to be scared." I say softly. He just turns to me, scoffs, and says "I am not scared." "Pfft- Whatever." I say, and that's the exact moment the ride decides to start.

I screamed.

Not in fear, but excitement.

Damian was the opposite. He didn't scream. He didn't shout. He didn't cry. But what he did manage to do, was smile. Even if it was a small twitch of his lips, even if it faded away after the ride, I was happy he smiled.

And for some reason, my heart started beating faster.

Then we went on a few rides, which I had no idea what they were, but they were fun. The roller coaster was one of the rides we had left for the end, leaving the best for the last. Damian ended up enjoying most of the rides.

By the time the line was over, a long time had passed, and I and Damian actually ended up talking. For the longest time, I thought the Wayne heir was a pompous, rude, and arrogant snob. But maybe I was wrong.

Soon, it was time for the best. The roller coaster had me screaming, while Damian just stared at me in amusement. When I got down from the ride, my head was spinning. I leaned on Damian, who held my hand in response.

We sat down on a bench.

"How the hell were you not scared?" I had asked him after we got down. "Like I said, it was not scary." he replied. I scoffed at his faux-bravery. But then, I should give him credit after all, he was a vigilante.

I just sighed, looking around the place and lightening up when I saw cotton candy. There was a kind-looking man selling pink and blue cotton candy to kids. "Dami~ Buy me cotton candy." I whined, tugging on his arm.

Damian looked utterly annoyed.

"For the last time, do not call me that." he says, glaring at me, but it wasn't as intense as normal. He looked done with me. "Please?" I beg, making puppy eyes. "Fine." he says, dragging me to the stall.