40 - You Told Me

"WHAT?!"

I instinctively jumped away from the smiling brunette, eyes wide in shock. "You? You're Robin?" I asked, stuttering. It was very important that he doesn't find out I knew. "Yes." he said, shifting closer to me and grabbing hold of my hand.

"T-that means, Bruce is Batman?"

"Yes."

"And Jason is Red Hood?"

"Yes."

"Dick is Nightwing?"

"...yes."

"Holy shit! Nightwing is my role model. I can't believe this!"

My excitement knew no bounds. I didn't need to lie about the truth anymore. I jumped around in my seat, squealing. Maybe I was overreacting. Or maybe I was not reacting the way Damian wanted me to. But for some reason, Damian's face soured.

"Why are you more excited about Grayson than me?" he asks, frowning. I burst out laughing. Did he think I was jumping around for that? "What?" he asked again, the frown turning into a smile, getting influenced by my laughter.

"Hey, Nightwing might be my favorite superhero, but Robin is my boyfriend now." I say, ears turning red at the word boyfriend. I remember when a few days ago, I was wondering if I was good enough for this brunette.

My laughter ends, giving way to silence.

"Marinette... Now that you know who I am, you should know who I was." says Damian, the atmosphere turning serious. "Damian, I told you I don't care about that." I said, not wanting to listen to his story again.

I remember how much my heart broke hearing it from his mother's mouth; I don't think I'll be able to stand hearing it from his own.

"Marinette, please. It is vital that you know. You might just change your mind." he says, squeezing my hand. I look away, trying to come up with some excuse to avoid this. "I don't care about who you were, Damian. Forget it." I say.

"Mari-"

"Oh, would you look at the time? We should head back now, Damian."

I abruptly stand up, striding quickly towards the stairs, leaving Damian alone. I almost sprint down the stairs, coming to a halt in front of his bike. Hurried footsteps approach me as Damian looks at me worriedly.

"Why are you being so difficult?" he groaned, confused. "And what about you, Dami?" I hiss out, annoyed. "If you think there is something that might change my mind about dating you, aren't you supposed to hide it from me?" I ask.

"Angel-"

"So what if I changed my mind, Damian? Would you just let me go? Do I mean so little to you?" I ask again. "That is not what I would do. Marinette, just listen-"

The GPS of his bike beeps. Confused, I press a call-shaped button.

'Damian. Where are you? You're late for patrol.'

Tim's voice compelled the brunette's attention. Nevertheless, he ignored it, looking at me once again. "Marinette-" he starts, trying to understand why in the world I was being like this. Honestly, I didn't know either.

"Damian, later. You're needed somewhere." I said, averting my eyes from him. "Mari, I don't know why you're being like this, but okay." he said, walking past me and getting on his bike.

"Dami, just give me an hour." I say with determination, grabbing his arm. I can't delay this anymore, I needed to tell him. I needed to tell him who I was, and what I knew.