21

Lily arrived at the police station when it was a few minutes to midnight. They would not let her see Roman and she was so relieved when she saw Fred walk into the waiting room.

"Fred, I'm so glad you're here." She was so relieved to see another known face that she cared less and just hugged him tight. He didn't return the embrace but she didn't mind.

"How did this happen?" He sounded disturbed and understandably so. It was only a matter of time before the media would take this news everywhere.

"I…" Lily began to explain but she stopped when she saw Fred was looking over her shoulder with a frown. She turned to look at the woman that had come in. She was a ginger head and she was in her pyjamas. Her eyes were heavy with sleep and swollen from crying too much.

"Your son has killed my son!" She held Fred's collar tight and squeezed. "That untrained brat has taken his life."

"Sarah he's fine." Fred sighed, taking her hands off him. "He's only in a coma."

"Only?" She barked. "He has a fifty percent chance of survival, Fredy, fifty!"  She broke down on her knees while a police officer intervened.

So that was Roman's mother, Lily thought. What a strange woman.

"You shouldn't be out so late. You can come rest at the mansion and leave in the morning. We will be back tomorrow…"

"Tomorrow?" Lily interrupted. "We are not leaving without Roman."

"Lily dear, there are some procedures to…"

Lily wasn't interested, she ran towards the bar Roman was put in ignoring the security men coming after her.

"Roman!" She cried after sighting him sitting on a stool isolated in a corner.

He stood to his feet and went towards the bar.

She held the bar and sobbed. "I'm so sorry this happened to you because of me."

The security man tried to separate her from him but one glare from Roman was all it took. Lily knew it was because of their social status they had this much privileges.

"It's okay." Roman tried to cup her cheeks. "I'll be released before you even wake up." He assured her.

"No, you're not sleeping behind bars, you are coming home with us please." She continued to sob.

"Come on, we already talked to the officer. Stop the tears." He tried to calm her down but she disagreed.

Fred tapped her shoulder, "wait at the waiting room, I'll fix things." He was being gentle because he knew how emotional she was and so she nodded in agreement and did just as she was told.

*

Lily didn't know when she slept off but a gentle tap on her shoulder brought her out of her slumber.

"Let's go home."

It was Roman.

Every bit of sleepiness left her and she stood to give him a hug.

"You are out." 

"It's almost two in the morning, we should get some rest." He said and held her hand to lead her to the car. Fred was tagging behind them.

She missed a few steps and Roman stopped to look at her. "Are you that tired?"

She shook her head and was about to say she wasn't when he lifted her bridal style.

She would have argued and insisted that he put her down if she wasn't so tired and so instead she wrapped her arms around him. She wanted to ask where his mom had gone but she didn't want to ruin his mood any further.