33

Lily rushed to intervene before Roman did something irreversible with Jerry.  She couldn't believe he was here and her brain was still trying to process all of it.

"Have you lost your mind?" She stepped in between both men. "What's wrong with you?" She barked at Roman that was trying to catch his breath, his eyes still fixed on Jerry where he stood. He looked like he would run a knife through the poor man's throat at any second.

"Man, what the hell?" Jerry spoke for the first time, starting to recover from the shock of it all, looking between Lily and Roman. He looked like he had just seen a ghost and was traumatized by it.

"You know damn well she's somebody's wife, why would you want to keep her in your house if you had no ill intention?" Roman barked at him, making moves to get out of Lily's grip but she yanked him back. His eyes flashed to her, anger burning through them.

"I came here on my own, Jerry didn't kidnap me. This is the problem with you Dalmains, trouble just seems to go wherever you go and I'm sick of it!" Lily frowned, unable to take it anymore, "why do you like to bring me pain? Why can't you let me have some peace to myself even if it is just for a moment." She pushed him backwards, the frustration eating through her skin.

Her voice cracked and that calmed Roman down for a second. The last thing he wanted from her was to hear her cry.

"You left home to stay with this man." He reminded her in a low voice. His anger dissolving into fear.

"And that's my fucking choice. I don't owe you an explanation for my actions. We are done, Roman. You seriously can't be doing all of this after what you've done." She put her hands together as though she wanted to pray, "please leave me alone, please." She added with a sigh.

"Lily..." Roman called in a low voice, disbelief flashing across his eyes.

She looked away from him and folded her arms across her chest. She didn't turn to look at him as he left and when she was certain he was gone, she returned to the couch and buried her face in her hands, blinking back her tears.

"Hey, I'm sorry..." Jerry began to say, approaching her.

She lifted her head up sharply and shook it, "no, I'm sorry. It's my fault he did what he did. I didn't mean to cause you any trouble."

"It's okay." Jerry assured her, sitting beside her and patting her back, "you're welcome to stay as long as you like and if he bothers you, I can get the police involved."

She didn't say anything, only offered him a smile and leaned against his shoulder. This was stressing her out beyond her control.

*

"How am I supposed to believe that?" Adrian's voice was low and patient as he responded to Kim's claim.

"I know it's hard to but that night before you left, we had unprotected sex." She said in a shaky voice. Her mind was not clear and she didn't know what she was doing but she was going along with it anyways. "James and I never had sex without condoms, the child can only be yours Adrian." She hoped he couldn't hear the nerves taking control of her speech.

"We'll do a paternity test to confirm this, if it's mine, I'll be very much involved with the child and provide for its needs." Adrian responded casually. Kim was astonished by his reaction. There was no anger or any emotions really. This was good for her.

"Adrian, I can't cope on my own, I have nowhere to live, and I'm not financially capable to take care of the baby or the hospital bills. I know you can't stand me but please let me back in the house, you don't have to be with me, just for the time being, for the child's sake." She continued, sounding more desperate than ever.

"Where are you? I'll send a driver for you." He said and her eyes brightened. Was he really going along as if none of the James incidents ever occured?

"Thank you!" She sniffed, her hands shaky.

"But we'll go get a pregnancy test when you get here, it's something I have to confirm for myself." He said and her smile dropped instantly. She couldn't let him know she was affected by his decision and so she nodded.

"Sure, I'll text you the address. Thank you so much Ad-" she couldn't finish because he had hung up on her. Pacing around, she began to think of ways to avoid going for a test, or faking one. Either way, she had to have it her way.

*

It was almost midnight the next day when Lily's phone rang, bringing her awake. She found it hard to open her eyes but eventually, she sat up. It was Fred. "What?" She questioned out of pure surprise, contemplating picking it up. Everything that had happened to them was partly because of him.

Jerry had given her a room to stay in and it had been hard to get Roman out of her head especially after his behavior the night before.

"Why would Fred be calling me at this hour?" She frowned and proceeded to answer the phone call.

"Lily?" Fred sighed in relief when she'd picked up.

"Hey." She said with a raised eyebrow, hoping he would cut straight to the point. She had a bad feeling about his call and wanted it over with.

"Where are you?" He asked sharply.

"What's it Fred?" She frowned. At this point, she was tired of the Dalmains trying to know everything and acting like they had the whole world in their grip. She was done being their puppet and there was absolutely nothing that would force her to change her mind.

"It's about Roman." He said and her heart instantly dropped.