I - Chapter One

"Well I heard there was a special place,
Where men could go to emincipate,
The brutality and tyranny of their rulers."

Part 1 -- The Rise

Tommy smiled as he looked around him at the world that lay before his eyes. Acres and acres of undeveloped land, all his.

Well, technically not all his. Everything was considered to belong to Dream, the man who supposedly ruled it all. But Tommy didn't care for any "Dream." He had never even met the man yet. Whether or not he was real was still up to debate.

He was going to build his house right on top of a hill, overlooking the valley below him. A reminder of the community he was suddenly a part of.

Even from such a distance, he could make out the Community House, where Dream had supposedly started it all. It was a grand building, towering above most of the things in its vincinity, but Tommy knew that eventually, he'd build the most impressive structure in all the lands.

Starting with his hole in the dirt mound.

It had been so inviting, even though a bit in shambles, that Tommy knew that he'd like like a Hobbit for a while.

He picked up a few planks of wood that he had gathered and began constructing a door. After a few years of practice in making things --- a necessary ability in life --- he was pretty good at it.

Not that he was bragging, of course.

Well, kind of. Maybe.

Okay, he was definitely bragging.

Tommy tapped the head of a nail with his hammer, driving it into the wood. He grabbed another plank and some sandpaper, sanding it down until it was smooth to the touch. He grabbed the wood glue lying on the grass next to him and held the two pieces together, counting under his breath to make sure that it was actually stuck together before letting go.

He stood up and took a step back, admiring the door at his feet. He was definitely getting better at construction.

Now to make the actual house.

***

Lonely.

He was feeling lonely.

Why am I feeling lonely? I'm not lonely. I've got it all.

Tommy shook his head and laughed out loud, but his voice sounded foreign, even to his own ears. Suddenly, he felt the urge to find someone to share his little dirt hut Hobbit hole with.

Everyone already knew everyone. He was the new person, which sucked. It was like high school all over again.

He frowned slightly as the image of a young boy, his age, appeared in his mind. Tommy had seen him when he had been brought to the land, a shy boy with brown hair and big eyes. A baggy shirt that was definitely too big. He looked like he could use some help and company.

"Not a bad idea," Tommy muttered to himself. "Besides, company is always good."

He brushed off his hands, shoved them into his pocket, and started trekking down the hill again. He really had to make some stairs before his legs died from all the exertion.