I - Chapter Twenty-Two

Tommy lifted up another box of bricks, grunting as he carried it over to Eret. "Are you sure that this is necessary?"

"Completely," the man responded, taking the box from him with ease. He set it down beside his feet and dipped his trowel into the cement, lathering on a layer over the bricks he had already placed down.

"This is boring," Tommy complained, stretching his arms above his head. "I wanna go do something else."

"Sure," Eret said, placing down the brick in his hand.

Tommy blinked. "Really?"

"No. This wall is for all of us. Don't chicken out now."

"That's right," a new voice chimed in. "And besides, he's young! Some work is good for him."

Tommy turned, ready to reply with some sort of witty retort, but his words died down at the sight of Fundy.

"Mmm," Eret agreed. He handed the empty box to Tommy, who frowned down at it before looking back up at the man, but Eret completely ignored him. "So, Fundy, are you going to stand there, or are you going to help?"

The fox dude chuckled and folded his arms. "Nah. You're almost done, anyway."

It was true. Despite Tommy's constant grumblings about having to help build a wall, he had stuck around for a long time. The wall was nearly finished, completely encircling the entire area. It made him feel secure looking at it.

However, it was probably going to take more than just a wall to stop Dream.

"The meeting with Dream is today, right?" Eret asked, putting down another brick.

Fundy nodded. His happy air was gone, replaced with a steely seriousness. Not for the first time, Tommy felt suspicious of him. Something was up. But if he told anyone, he'd probably be yelled at.

There is one person who will listen to me, though. I have to find Tubbo.

***

Tommy waited nervously for Tubbo's reaction, watching his face carefully. Telling the guy everything had been a long process, and soon, they'd be called for by Wilbur to prepare for the meeting with Dream. He needed a response, and fast.

"So you really don't trust Fundy?" Tubbo finally asked.

"Not in the slightest," Tommy said, shaking his head. "You don't think I'm crazy, do you?"

Tubbo scratched his head. "Well, the thing is, I understand where you're coming from, but at the same time I don't want to be suspicious of Fundy. I like him. He's nice."

"Really?"

He meant it sarcastically, but the boy just nodded. "Really. So while I think that while it's good that you're being wary of those around you, I don't think you should be wary of your friends."

Tommy scoffed. "Fundy and I aren't friends, Tubbo. He made that pretty clear."

"Maybe you should give him a chance."

"Tommy!" Wilbur's voice called from somewhere towards his left. "Get your arse over here! We have stuff to do! You too, Tubbo!"

"That's our cue," Tubbo said, glancing back at Tommy. "So?"

"I'll treat him nice," Tommy promised. "But you think about it, okay?"

Tubbo bit his lip and nodded. Satisfied with his response, Tommy turned and headed towards the sound of Wilbur's voice. But as he walked, worry about Fundy morphed into dread for the meeting with Dream.