The Noble Thoughtful Protégé [Shatranj]

Fanfic: Shatranj | D

Fanfic: Shatranj | D. Wayne

Portrayed by: Danny Shepherd

Background: Used to be part of The Flying Graysons act at Haley's Circus but after his parents' death, he was adopted by Bruce Wayne. Became the first Boy Wonder, later took up the mantle of Nightwing.

Alias: Nightwing

Age: 30

Current Status: Dead

Eye color: Sky Blue

Hair color and type: Deep brown, messy but in thick soft tufts.

Skin color: Fair

Height: 5'11"

Love Interest: Barbara Gordon (fiancé)

Hobbies: Singing, swimming, playing tennis with Jason and Tim, spending time with the family, and playing the piano with Tim.

Personality: Just like the title suggests, Richard is Batman's best protege so far and the only one who Bruce could pass on the mantle of Batman but unfortunately I had other plans.

The prominent personality facts about him are as follows:

• The kindest soul to ever exist. Very sweet and caring.

• Self-sacrificial to a fault.

• Obedient and understanding. The only adoptive son of Bruce who has never gotten into a fight with him and definitely his favorite too.

• But that doesn't mean Richard didn't stand up for the times Bruce was wrong. He has defended Jason multiple times and is the only reason Jay and Bruce are still on civil terms.

• Loves Barbara a lot, can go to hell and back for her.

• Sometimes gets weighed down by the pressure of their vigilante lives but keeps himself together since he knows the younger two idealize him and he can't let himself break in front of them.

• When they learn about the Demon Head's successor being biologically related to Bruce, Richard is the one who did not overreact and instead had the most rational reaction by suggesting them all to wait till the successor himself approached them or else just let him be.

• But things went terribly wrong, entangling them with the League of Assassins.

• The result of the unwanted entanglement turned out to be one death and two young vigilantes swearing revenge. *I'm in tears and no these are not of sadness*

• Anyhow, back to the personality facts, Richard would always put himself in front of any danger that threatens his family. To him, the others are worth his life.

• He does not have a favorite adoptive brother since both are equally loveable to him. He doesn't do favorites.

• He's probably the purest, sweetest, most loveable version of Richard I have ever written. You know what they say; the dearer something is, the more painful it is to let go of it.

Theme Song: True Love Is Violent by Allie X

Don't know what is right until it's wrong,

Don't know what you got until it's gone.

Heaven could fall and angels swarm,

But hell is ours to face.

Origin story: (follows canon storyline with a few modifications by me).

His origin is the same since he got adopted by Bruce after his parents' death. He became Robin then eventually took the mantle of Nightwing. Is the protege most likely to become Batman after Bruce but unfortunately gets murdered by... *guess who, I can seriously not hold in my evil author laugh*.

This is an AU in which Damian never came to Gotham and grew up with the Al Ghuls so no doubt he's not how you see him in canon.

He's ten times worse.

And that major twist in the tale ended up in the demise of our dear favorite Richard.

***