Chapter Four

Time seemed to just pass by so fast and before Carter knew it, it was Saturday, the day of the Homecoming dance and the girls were getting their hair and makeup done at the salon. Including Erick's date, Bethany.

     The boys were getting ready at Liam's house, including his date, Noah, and Samantha's date, Gavin.

     Carter insisted on doing her hair and makeup but her friends dragged her along and sat her in the hair salon chair.

     "You are getting this done missy. We let you slide the last couple of school dances." Maria says to Carter.

     "You won't regret it." says Bethany, sitting in the chair next to Carter.

     The hairstylist curls Carter's hair and does a beautiful waterfall braid and moves on to do her makeup.

     "Sweetie, do you want to take off your sweater? I don't want to get makeup on it." the hairstylist suggests.

     "No, that's okay." Carter says, pulling her sleeves into her fists.

     "Are you sure? I-" the stylist tries to suggest again when Carter cuts in.

     "I'd like to keep it on. Please." Carter looks up at the stylist through the mirror. Not wanting to make a scene, but her voice raised a little without her even realizing it, immediately feeling bad.

     "Okay, yeah sure. Alright, let's get started." the stylist says, and she begins to work on Carter.

     After the girls were done at the salon, they went back to Samantha's house to finish getting ready.

     All the girls begin to change into their dresses in the den, except Carter. She sneaks off into the bathroom, not wanting anyone to see her scars.

     She pulls out her dress from its garment bag and hangs it up on a hook. She puts on nylons to make the scars on her legs invisible and she applies cover-up onto her wrists just in case a sleeve was to roll up.

     Carter takes her dress off the hanger and slips into it. A navy blue, knee-length, long-sleeve dress with a heart-shaped neckline with flowers along the hem. She looks herself over in the mirror, almost not recognizing herself since she never looks like this. But she quickly looked away before her thoughts took over. She hurries to get back into the den with the others.

     "Wow, you guys look great." Carter says to Maria, Samantha, and Bethany.

     Each one is in a mini, strapless dress, in different colors.

     "You look cute too, Carter." Maria says, putting on her heels.

     "Carter, are you sure you don't want to borrow one of my dresses? One without long sleeves, so you won't get too hot?" Samantha offers

     "No thanks, I like this one." Carter responds

     "Boys will be here in a few. And our moms are upstairs ready for pictures." Bethany says, looking at her phone.

     "Do we have everything?" Samantha says as she grabs her purse, looking around the room.

     "Yep! Let's go." Bethany says

     The girls all walked upstairs to the family room just as the boys had arrived. Carter's mom had to work so she was the only mom in the group who wasn't able to make it.

     The dates pair off and Carter stands off to the side, not wanting them to stick her in the middle. Although, seeing them, seeing Charlie with Maria, her heart began to ache. She needed to find a distraction to stop herself from getting upset.